DeWalt 12V Sub-compact Drill/Driver and Impact

Tunnel Rat

I bought up a 2pc bosch set back when they first arrived. I think they are wonderful tools. I hate to say it, but if your thinking about a kit to expand with... Milwaukee M-12 seems to launch a new tool almost every day.

LOL, I know what you mean.

I had to literally drag myself out of Home Depot a few days ago. That M-12 copper tubing cutter is pretty slick. I would use that thing daily.

Right now, it's a toss up between Milwaukee and Makita.

My research continues... LOL  :-\

Add me to the list of people waiting for yellow and black mini-tools. I work at the Home Depot so I get to play with the new stuff when it comes in. I really like the Milwaulkee M12 set-up, and most of their stuff feels pretty good. The little 2-speed drill can even (barely) handle a 7/8" self-feed auger bit! (the little ridgid ones that HD sells) Just don't try it on speed 2. Trust me ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I found a reason to buy into the Makita 10.8v sub-compact line.  ;D

Introducing...

The 10.8V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum

Model: CL100DZ

SPECS:

* Up to 12 minutes of continuous use from a single fully charged 10.8V Compact Lithium-Ion battery

* Strong suction power for fast and efficient cleaning

* Redesigned floor nozzle for improved maneuverability and debris collection

* Bagless 2-stage cloth filtration system allows for easier cleaning and quicker debris disposa

CL100DZ_l.jpg

If that's not enough, you can upgrade to it's big brother.

18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Vacuum Kit

Model: BCL180W

Specs:

*  Up to 10 minutes of continuous use from a single fully charged 18V Compact Lithium-Ion battery

* Strong suction power for fast and efficient cleaning

* Redesigned floor nozzle for improved maneuverability and debris collection

* Bagless 2-stage cloth filtration system allows for easier cleaning and quicker debris disposal

BCL180W_l.jpg

• 1 month later...

10 minutes of runtime for those vacuum's? are those a joke?

i have really been hoping dewalt is working on a sub compact line, im really close to getting the bosch set, but i would hate to have all my stuff black and yellow, and then 2 random bosch's.

it seems like they lag when it comes to introducing something new, but i guess they take the time to work out all the kinks, or do the best they can. when other companies like Milwaukee just go for it and make crap.

• 1 month later...

I think if you don't need a sub-compact right away, then wait. Dewalt will have to roll out a sub-compact line. I'd guess anytime 2010.

This has been confirmed by our DeWalt vendor. First half 2010; if I had to guess, towards the end of Q1 when the power tool market picks up again for summer, but we all know how ETA's tend to work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No word yet on tool lineup, although I'm sure you'll have the most common ones, drill, impact, flashlight. Otherwise, I asked about competing with the M12 lineup and they reminded me of how much testing and trial DeWalt goes through before even thinking of releasing a product.

My guess is look for the start of a system, but the new tool every month (M12) I can almost guarantee won't happen.

I have had the Makita pair for more than a year now, as my primary cordless drivers.  I cannot say enough good things about the impact.  It is tiny and has enough power 800ip and control to use for anything short of screwing down decks (full time) I am guessing that the Bosch and Milwaukee also meet this need.  The addition of a variable speed subcompact impact will change most remodelers, electricians lives.  My DC988 has found a systainer containing my door handle jig and hole-saws,  that is about all I use it for.    The idea of the small format battery pack as standard is sound:  sticking it battery first in a front pocket  or  down a hammer loop  has become SOP.

The key to cordless, as I see it, is whether the kit you have will get your task at hand completed.  The arguments of how many 1 1/4 holes the drill will bore in 2x or how many screws per charge is irrelevent  (fun to speculate and boast about perhaps)  What is important is how many screws and/or holes the system can produce in an hour (system is batteries, charger, drill,impact) vs how many screws/ holes do you need (per hour) to do your task.  It is my experence that the smallest, lightest kit that will meet your needs (don't think cheep in price or quality) is the one that will make you most effecent.

• 3 months later...

No word yet on tool lineup, although I'm sure you'll have the most common ones, drill, impact, flashlight. Otherwise, I asked about competing with the M12 lineup and they reminded me of how much testing and trial DeWalt goes through before even thinking of releasing a product.

My guess is look for the start of a system, but the new tool every month (M12) I can almost guarantee won't happen.

So far there will be six new tools for the 12v system, so they are going after everyone, sorry dont have any sneak peek photos yet............. ;D

SUPER THANKS! So in your opinion, which part of the new line up makes this a game changer?

This is not the complete line up, their are still more to come.

For starters, the probe/camera; i have used it and it's awsome plus the camera head is detachable compared to the competition, so you can position it and still see what you are doing.  I also have the impact driver, had it for a few months now and the three LED is sweet.  Like i said, the tools will be available later this year so you be the judge.

Archived