DCD970 18v Drill/hammerdrill/driver making clicking/knocking noise?

Steven

I sub-contract part time for a builder.  I own 3 of these drills.  I bought them all new (as a bare tool).  When in 2nd gear, pointing chuck straight up (as in drilling on ceiling), in drill mode, while going slow, they all make an annoying clicking noise.  The chuck speed sometimes changes with the clicking.  The noise can get louder as the drill is being turned up-side-down.  I dont know if it is a gear rubbing against something or what.  I dont know if this problem would shorten the life of the tool or not.  So thinking there is a defect in this model or maybe a recall was done on them, I took them to a DeWalt Factory Service center in Lenexa KS.  They tested all 3 and said "this is normal for a hammerdrill".  I told them I was not in hammerdrill mode, and they still insist this is normal.  That is all they said.  Anyone else have this issue?  Can anyone explain to me why this happens?

I would like to add, other then this little issue I would HIGHLY recommend this drill to everyone.  Excellent torque, speed, weight, cool LED light, and good side handle.  It does not come with a depth rod. 

No, its not during the stopping of the chuck.  Its when the chuck is turning very very slow in 2nd gear with the chuck pointed up or the drill slightly pointed slightly up-side-down (with battery bottom facing up).  I know, its a weird position to have a drill in, but when your working construction you tend to be in weird positions at times & to get into tight spots.  I have 3 because I tend to switch back and forth between different bits a lot and I sometimes only have one hand available, just enough to grab another drill.  Also, if all you have is 1 drill, then it breaks or you loose it, your out of work until you take time to buy another one.  Anyways, its a consistant clicking while the chuck is turning.  Its not the sound of the hammerdrill mode or the clutch, its a louder clicking sound.  Could be a clicking sound of the chuck brake rubbing?  Its not the sound of hammerdrill mode.  All 3 do it, and all 3 were bran-new.  Took it to that Dewalt Service Center I talked about earlier.  They said it was a "normal" sound. The Service center guy said that if I wanted to give them all 3 drills they can take them apart for free (since its under warranty).  I told them I didnt want to be charged for labor if they dont find anything wrong.  They said its all covered under warranty no matter what.  So I just gave them 1 drill (since I could not be without any for my job) for a week.  Then I went back, the tech had taken it apart and said nothing is wrong, its "...normal for a hammerdrill to make that sound even when its not in hammerdrill mode...".  It still makes that noise.   It still seems weird to me.  Other then that, the drills work fine.  Its just annoying to spend a lot of $$$ and for it to do weird stuff like that.

Also, while I was at the Dewalt Service center, I had them order me 3 Depth Rods for these drills.  They were $1.50/each and the part # is: 580787-00

• 3 weeks later...

I was on here reading the review on the DCD950 (I guess the 970 is the same thing as the 950) and I bought it. I just took it out of the box 20 min ago and I also noticed the sound, the loud click when the battery is faced up! I first thought sweet, just my luck I get a f-ed up new drill but now that I see more of them doing it on here maybe its normal. It only does it in 2nd gear which leads me to believe its in the transmission.  I took a video to show the sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOnOk9jsIFQ

So this is all normal, and there is nothing to fix it? I sent an email into Dewalt with the same video for the sound example, but from your experience it looks like they aren't going to do anything about it.  It just doesn't sound normal, it sounds like the drill is going to explode.

Guest Jopopsy

This does NOT happen on my DCD960.  I put the drill in 2nd gear, hit the mode selector to drill, turned it upside down so that the battery points up towards the ceiling, and varied the speed.  No click.  Set the mode selector to screw, still no click.

No drill prior to XRP 5 had this anomaly. It goes hand and hand with the new transmission. XRP 5 is something entirely new. I don't seem to have the problem your having either. I'm wondering if it was a odd batch? Look at the manufacturing date where the battery locks into the drill. 20** **- ** (2009 32-49) You and PAINE should compare dates and see if they are similar?

I recently got a dcd760kl and it clicked only in 2nd gear (this model only has two speeds). I returned it to HD and picked up another and it did the exact same thing. After using it for about 5 battery's worth of charges, it got alot better. Now the reverse in 2nd is alot louder than forward. I'm pretty sure it's the actual selector switch rubbing against whatever's spinning inside. Someone at the factory allowed some extra flashing on the plastic tabs before installation. Could have just trimmed it, but they don't think it's worth it.

This is the third made in Mexico tool I've purchased from Dewalt/PorterCable  (NEW) and they've all been plagued with stupid quality control issues. My new sander had to be replaced because of a broken belt and my router's chuck is too tight. However, my made in China Delta table saw has been great and so has my little B&D jigsaw. I'll never buy made in Mexico from this company again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took delivery of the DCD970KL...i didn't realize how loud this sucker is during operation...haven't put it to work yet, but it definitely sounds more powerful than my Dad's old DW959.

At first, wondered if all the noise was normal, but it sounds just like in Paine's video, just louder in person.  I can't tell from the video, and maybe other owners can confirm it, but is it normal to hear a loud metallic "slap" sound when you let go of the trigger?  Is that the electronic brake?  TIA.

Is there a trick to removing a bit on the DCD970?  The chuck seems to self-tighten a little too well.  The instructions simply say to turn counter-clockwise, but I can't seem to turn it anymore to release a Forstner bit.  Don't want to take a hammer to knock out the bit.  Any advice, fellas?  Thank you!

• 1 month later...

All 3 of my DCD970s still make the clicking noise.  Also remember earlier I stated that the Dewalt Service Center took one in and replaced the gear case assembly, & it still makes the noise.  Here is the date stamp on them:

1.  2009 06-49

2.  2009 12-49

3.  2009 13-49

• 2 weeks later...

I sub-contract part time for a builder.  I own 3 of these drills.  I bought them all new (as a bare tool).  When in 2nd gear, pointing chuck straight up (as in drilling on ceiling), in drill mode, while going slow, they all make an annoying clicking noise.  The chuck speed sometimes changes with the clicking.  The noise can get louder as the drill is being turned up-side-down.  I dont know if it is a gear rubbing against something or what.  I dont know if this problem would shorten the life of the tool or not.  So thinking there is a defect in this model or maybe a recall was done on them, I took them to a DeWalt Factory Service center in Lenexa KS.  They tested all 3 and said "this is normal for a hammerdrill".  I told them I was not in hammerdrill mode, and they still insist this is normal.  That is all they said.  Anyone else have this issue?  Can anyone explain to me why this happens?

I would like to add, other then this little issue I would HIGHLY recommend this drill to everyone.  Excellent torque, speed, weight, cool LED light, and good side handle.  It does not come with a depth rod. 

Hi there

First off, Im a swede so please have patience with spelling and grammar in my writing skill.

However, I also have the exact same problem you describe. Horrible noise in second gear wenn pointing the drill up position. I do not have the hammer model. In europe the drill go by the name DCD 920 XRP and DCD 925 XRP is the one with hammer mode. For what I´ve understood you call it for DCD 970 in the states but it shall be the exact same drill for what i know.

What im trying to say is that it seem to be the same noise problem on both models. So having a hammer mode or not does not seem to have anything do do with it.

On monday ( today saturday ) I will go to a Dewalt service center and check it up. I noticed that you also can feel a "hammering" on the gear selector wenn this noise are coming and I really do not like it. It feels like the drill is going to worn out and take damage.

I think that maybee a "gear ring" or something is going back and forward and hitting the gear selector in some way. Hopefully someone can give a real god answer about this before monday so I have more "flesh on my bone" before I go to the service center.

I also noticed that this sounds seems only to ocur wenn the drill has no load on it.  If you are drilling in wood for example I can not hear it.

Hopefully someone can help me out and the other guys having the same problem.

Best regaurds

Christian

Hi again.

I was at the service center this morning with my dewalt about that noise in second gear. They told me that it was not normal and something was wrong. Tomorow i will have it back så I will write back again to tell how the outcome was.

The service guy talked about some "ring" in the second gear and something more I Can not remember. How ever, it felt good they just not sad that all was normal, instead they sad that it really was something wrong.

I´ll be back tommorow to tell how it went.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my drill back two days ago. Acording to the service paper 5 parts are changed to new ones.

Not sure about the names in english but I will make a try.

1. drove stage one

2. speed shifter

3. circle drove ?

4. returning spring

However, the bad sound in second gear is now gone and overall the gearbox runs smother now. See previous reply.

Saying this again, the bad sound was there from the beginning. The drill was brand new so something must have been missed in the assembly process.

Can also tell that Dewalt tools sold in Sweden is manufactured in Idstein Germany. Do not know if they are just put together there and the parts are made somewhere else.

• 5 months later...

Archived