Looking for Helpful Advice - Replacing Ryobi 3/8" Drill

Guest ufo2826

Guest ufo2826

I've been using a Ryobi 3/8" VSR cordless drill/driver for a number of years and it has died. I liked it OK.

I use a drill/driver several times a year on projects around the house and am wondering what to buy. I want a quality tool, but don't need to overkill.

I guess I've bought the Lithium Ion (LI) "hype" because I immediately started thinking in those terms.

In looking at DeWalt products, it appears that LI is really only used in 1/2" drives. I don't think I need 1/2".

I'll appreciate any advice on what a typical "homeowner user" should be looking for.

Should I just go out and get myself another Ryobi, or a Black & Decker or a Skil? Does LI really offer me that much? It clearly is more expensive.

Thanks.

Lithium is certainly an expensive option for just around the house when you start considering a professional tool. Occasional use around the house would warrant something a lot less professional. Sounds like you've done consumer, and want to bump it up a notch? Well I have two suggestions.

1. Stick with a corded unit, Dewalt has a great 3/8" VS trigger that will last you for many years. HERE IS MINE. I would maybe suggest the DWD110K. It will run you $50-$55 at your local big box. HERE are Dewalt's other 3/8" corded drills.

2. If you feel like a cordless unit is the way to go for you, I would suggest the Porter Cable Tradesman Line. The lithium option is a little less expensive. It's the middle ground tool between consumer and professional. They also have corded tradesman tools as well.

What was your initial budget? Any reason why you wouldn't want/need a 1/2" chuck?

Guest ufo2826

JC, Thanks for your reply. See below...

Lithium is certainly an expensive option for just around the house when you start considering a professional tool. Occasional use around the house would warrant something a lot less professional. Sounds like you've done consumer, and want to bump it up a notch? Yes, that's exactly where I am.

Well I have two suggestions.

1. Stick with a corded unit, Dewalt has a great 3/8" VS trigger that will last you for many years. While I don't have acres and acres, I do use the drill enough "away from electrical outlets" to make dragging a cord unhandy. I am partial to cordless.

HERE IS MINE.WOW! That's an impressive (and well used) tool.

I would maybe suggest the DWD110K. It will run you $50-$55 at your local big box. HERE are Dewalt's other 3/8" corded drills.

2. If you feel like a cordless unit is the way to go for you, I would suggest the Porter Cable Tradesman Line. The lithium option is a little less expensive. It's the middle ground tool between consumer and professional. They also have corded tradesman tools as well.Thanks, I'll look at their cordless.

What was your initial budget? I'd like to do this for $100-$120. Looks like I may not be able to do that.

Any reason why you wouldn't want/need a 1/2" chuck?Nothing against 1/2" ... just thought 3/8" would be less expensive.

I've found a Craftsman 3/8" LI for approx. $100. Any thoughts about Craftsman? I recognize it's really "consumer".

Thanks again!

Ed

I'm not sure I would completely throw Craftsman under the bus. Some of their tools are certainly consumer, but a good bulk of them I would consider a tradesman tool. Keep your eye's peeled, this is the time of year when you can find great deals! All the retailers will be throwing out hot buys especially on black friday. Maybe Lowes will have some super buys on the Porter Cable line?

Guest Jopopsy

Lithium is certainly an expensive option for just around the house when you start considering a professional tool. Occasional use around the house would warrant something a lot less professional. Sounds like you've done consumer, and want to bump it up a notch? Well I have two suggestions.

1. Stick with a corded unit, Dewalt has a great 3/8" VS trigger that will last you for many years. HERE IS MINE. I would maybe suggest the DWD110K. It will run you $50-$55 at your local big box. HERE are Dewalt's other 3/8" corded drills.

JC, any thoughts/feedback on the DWD115?  Seems like they took the balance of a cordless and factored it into a corded model.  Is there a downside to this configuration?  It looks weird, but after holding one I can't see how anybody would want the regular looking drill unless you need it to mix material.  ????

2. If you feel like a cordless unit is the way to go for you, I would suggest the Porter Cable Tradesman Line. The lithium option is a little less expensive. It's the middle ground tool between consumer and professional. They also have corded tradesman tools as well.

What was your initial budget? Any reason why you wouldn't want/need a 1/2" chuck?

Archived