DCD760KL - First Impressions

Guest Jopopsy

Guest Jopopsy

Okay, I thought since this forum has been so helpful to me that I'd post my initial feelings regarding the above mentioned drill.  Today I built a small table (work bench grade) as a stand for a EdenPure 1000 space heater (basement).  Complete w/ chocks for the wheels so the unit would be steady.

Overall, positive.

Feel, balance, weight, all exceptional.  The tool had plenty of grunt for driving #10 2 1/4 screws into 2x material.  I actually appreciate the LED, I though it would be a goof but it wasn't.  

The batteries on the other hand - not sure if they need to break in but WOW what a time difference between my older 2.4 amp Makita NiMH.  So far I countersunk some screws into my older work bench, and got maybe 16 of those #10 screws   (complete with 1/8" pilot, switch to contersink bit to bore the screw head hole, then switch to philips bit to drive the screw) into the job before the battery was done.  No warning really either, it was just chugging along and than kaput.  

So I charged it up for 30 minutes, the charger light was steady, and went back to work.  Got the table done (another 32 screws in the same fashion as above - and 12 1 3/4 #8s for the ply shelf fastening) and than ... kaput.

I know these are compact batteries, and I suppose shame on me for not getting the other battery up and running ahead of time, but if this is indicative of the battery life I can't see how this drill can be anything other than a shop standby.  No way a tradesman takes this in his truck w/ 2 batteries and gets through a whole day of serious work.

Than again, maybe it wasn't intended for that type of work.  I don't know.

Maybe I should have gotten that DCD920KX package I originally spec'd out.  I'm within my return period, so I have to see.  I really like the drill, but there will be a lot of battery swapping if I decide to keep it.  Good thing they charge in 30 minutes.

Thanks for your review on the DCD760KL. Sounds like you enjoyed working with the drill, minus the runtime! @ 1.1Ah, runtime is certainly going to be a lot less than your old Makita. The projects you described pre-purchase did not seem all that rough for a compact tool with 2 batteries charging in 30 minutes.

I was reading back through the old post's, and I don't believe we discussed runtime. I appologize for not adding that into the conversation.

As far as the Kaput... that is the electronics kicking in. It prevents the cells from dipping to low. I think Makita and Bosch are the only two I have tested that do not shut off.

Here is a look at all the compact's tested. dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,91.0.html

You might see a slight increase in runtime as the batteries break in?

Let me know what you end up doing?

Guest Jopopsy

No need to apologize you've been a great help.  I just didn't appreciate the runtime differance between the two until I actually started using it.  Compounding my confusion/dilemna is the fact that DeWalt answered my email and recommended the NiCad 920KX kit for me given my usage patterns !! 

Go figure right?

I was at Lowes today.  I certainly don't want to be working w/ the 18V XRP nicad drill - its way too heavy for my needs and applications.  The 920KX is noticeably heavier than the compact I have, but I'm going to get runtime for my trouble w/ negligible loss of torque between the two.

DeWALT also got back to me w/ a charging question I had w/ regards to the XRP nicads.  Assuming long periods of non-use, they recommend I put the bats in the charger every 2 weeks.  They assure me I won't ruin or degrade my XPR Nicads if I do this (but memory affect and poor nicad performance has been force fed into my head for years so I'm not sure I believe them).  ???

I guess I'd go for the 920KX if I felt confidant that I wouldn't be shopping for new new batteries in a year if I use the drill as I describe.  Do you agree w/ DeWALT JC, or do you have your own opinion on things?

Guest Jopopsy

I'm going to keep this drill and probably buy a corded drill.  My thoughts:

A.  This drill can probably do everything I'd want it to.

B.  If I had to bore something that would be questionable w/ this drill, the corded model would come in handy.

C.  If I were every in a lurch w/ batteries, I'd have the power one to fall back on.

Ideally I think the perfect drill for me is the DCD920 but with a lithium ion XRP battery on it.  Doesn't look like that's going to be a option anytime soon (and by the time I buy the 2 14.4 lithium batteries and charger I can buy a whole EXTRA DCD760 + that corded drill).

Guest Jopopsy

I'm going to keep this drill and probably buy a corded drill.  My thoughts:

A.  This drill can probably do everything I'd want it to.

B.  If I had to bore something that would be questionable w/ this drill, the corded model would come in handy.

C.  If I were every in a lurch w/ batteries, I'd have the power one to fall back on.

Ideally I think the perfect drill for me is the DCD920 but with a lithium ion XRP battery on it.  Doesn't look like that's going to be a option anytime soon (and by the time I buy the 2 14.4 lithium batteries and charger I can buy a whole EXTRA DCD760 + that corded drill).

Changed my mind and went for the DC920KX.  The extra durability of it (I can probably spin some material with it) and the drill/fasten swtich mechanism is what finally sealed the deal for me.  I often swtich between drilling and fastening with a quick change adapter on my drill - making the switch on the tool itself is so much easier w/ this model then constantly spinning the whole collar every time.

Also, by the time my nicads die out, the Lithium Ions should be cheaper.  I'll swap battery tech at that time. 

• 10 months later...

No need to apologize you've been a great help.  I just didn't appreciate the runtime differance between the two until I actually started using it.  Compounding my confusion/dilemna is the fact that DeWalt answered my email and recommended the NiCad 920KX kit for me given my usage patterns !! 

Go figure right?

I was at Lowes today.  I certainly don't want to be working w/ the 18V XRP nicad drill - its way too heavy for my needs and applications.   The 920KX is noticeably heavier than the compact I have, but I'm going to get runtime for my trouble w/ negligible loss of torque between the two.

DeWALT also got back to me w/ a charging question I had w/ regards to the XRP nicads.  Assuming long periods of non-use, they recommend I put the bats in the charger every 2 weeks.  They assure me I won't ruin or degrade my XPR Nicads if I do this (but memory affect and poor nicad performance has been force fed into my head for years so I'm not sure I believe them).  ???

I guess I'd go for the 920KX if I felt confidant that I wouldn't be shopping for new new batteries in a year if I use the drill as I describe.  Do you agree w/ DeWALT JC, or do you have your own opinion on things?

Yes, leaving a NiCd battery in the charger will not degrade the battery or have any memory affect.  After the charge cycle is complete the charger goes into balancing mode and sends small amounts of charge to top off the cells; think of it as topping off your gas tank in your vehicle..........

Archived