Looking for a hammerdrill, DC725?

Guest harryb49

Guest harryb49

As with all manufacturers there are a lot of new versions popping up all the time.  For instance I located a model DC725KA that appears promising but want to see reviews, other people's experiences, etc before I make my choice.

Is this a replacement for the DC720 that was tested above?

I'm looking to replace an old Dewalt cordless 14.4 drill that has seen it's last drill bit and am considering this one as a replacment.

Some considerations on the attributes I'd like to have:

18 volt

about 3ah battery

Nice to have - hammer/drill selectable

Priced around $200 - give or take a little.

Do any models come to mind?

Thanks,

Harry

The DC725 is the DC720 with a hammer function. Dewalt does not offer any 18v batteries above a 2.4ah. You can see 3 of there 4 HERE.

You won't find anything new with a hammer function for $200, unless you find a sale, ebay, amazon, CL, ect... The DC725 will be the cheapest 18v Dewalt hammerdrill/drill driver. The DC725 comes with two compact 1.7Ah batteries.

There are a few other options available. You could buy the tool bare, meaning no batteries or charger. Then purchase the battery that suit's your needs, and a charger. TOOLBARN is one of many online companies who have a build-a-kit program. Going this route will certainly put you over your $200 mark, but you would get exactly want you need.

Second what JC said about scoring a deal on ebay.  Harryb49, if you're familiar with how Microsoft Bing Cashback works, you may be able to get major discounts off of ebay.

Just snagged a brand new DeWalt DCD970KL (Li-Ion kit) off ebay for $250 - 15% bing cashback = 212.50 total cost, no tax, free shipping (Lowe's lists it for $330 before tax).  I bought it last weekend and a day later bing cashback offered 20%, but now it's back down to 8%, you just have to keep an eye on it.  Also, you have to use ebay's "Buy It Now" option, discount won't work on bid prices.  And, you have to wait 60 days to get the cashback, but I already see it in my Bing account, I just have to be patient.

Keep in mind the 970 is more robust than the 725, but also noticeably heavier, if that matters.  I don't know how buying from ebay will affect the warranty, so buy at your own risk.  If I can save that much on the 970 through ebay, I'm sure you can get the 725 for much less than HD/Lowe's.

Not drill are good bus he say he need hamer drill hamer better on hikty than why 200$ for budjet your drill will do the job for atleas 5 years"Then is no new technologie comming soon for drill so why buy cheep except some small work if you use them all day for work dont look the price go for what you think is the best.You have to now hilty is better yes but you pay few dollor more than dewalt only for the name.And never go for makita drill they 3 speed hammer drill is the worst on market the speed 2 and 3 alway break after few use especiali the gear 3.So my top 2 hammer drill is dewal and hilty.

• 2 years later...

But if concert/stone a major part of your day, invest in a rotary hammer drill.

Not drill are good bus he say he need hamer drill hamer better on hikty than why 200$ for budjet your drill will do the job for atleas 5 years"Then is no new technologie comming soon for drill so why buy cheep except some small work if you use them all day for work dont look the price go for what you think is the best.You have to now hilty is better yes but you pay few dollor more than dewalt only for the name.And never go for makita drill they 3 speed hammer drill is the worst on market the speed 2 and 3 alway break after few use especiali the gear 3.So my top 2 hammer drill is dewal and hilty.

The 999 is an older percussion style hammer drill, and the 213 is the 20v max version of the sds plus rotory hammer. Sds hammers hit a lot harder, and are purpose built for drilling in all types of concrete, while percussion hammers are just an option on standard drill drivers which allow them to drill in softer masonry materials pretty well, and as was said, drill into higher psi concretes moderately well.

Archived