Routers

Guest Jopopsy

Guest Jopopsy

How do DeWalt Routers hold up and perform over the long haul?  My next purchase after the ROS is either a 1.75 or a 2.25 HP router.  Most forum people tend to lean towards PC or Bosch for routers - DeWalt doesn't get a whole lot of love in this category.

Lots of people swear by Milwaukee, though I can't see for the life of me how they can offer a 5 year warranty on a tool that is 50-100 bucks cheaper (apples to apples) to a DeWalt, PC, or Bosch.  I'm not a fan of anything Milwaukee makes that is cordless.

Any opinions on how to spend my money?

I own the Bosch 1617EVSPK. If I were to buy another set I would go for the Porter Cable 893PK. The Bosch is not all that easy to use. I can't take the motor out of the fixed base without a fight. However they seem to have addressed that issue in their brand new router soon to be released.

Here is the review I read when I first bought my router. http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1493&articleID=501244

It's a little old, but there is some great information that can help you decide on what to look for in a router.

Guest Jopopsy

It seems the DeWalt is very close in capability/performance to the Bosch - its interesting that you picked the Bosch over the DeWalt seeing as how you are, well, a DeWalt evangelist. 

What swayed you away from the DeWalt?  Before researching heavily I was just going to go to Lowes and buy the 618PK until I read about the unit you have.

The one you recommend from PC is way over my budget - that one is a non-starter for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jopopsy

I still haven't yet.  A lot of people over on Sawmill Creek are telling me I can't go wrong w/ the PC690LRVS as a first router.  Gold standard type stuff.  It doesn't help that I don't really need the router for another couple of weeks, so it gives me time to keep flip flopping.

I was almost set to go w/ the Bosch, until my local Lowes (all of them for some reason) ran out of stock.  Gave me more time to consider what to do.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to use the plunge mechanism - to be honest its nowhere in my 'need' category right now.  If I buy just what I need, the PC is probably the smart way to go.

Still mired obviously.

I still haven't yet.  A lot of people over on Sawmill Creek are telling me I can't go wrong w/ the PC690LRVS as a first router.  Gold standard type stuff.  It doesn't help that I don't really need the router for another couple of weeks, so it gives me time to keep flip flopping.

I was almost set to go w/ the Bosch, until my local Lowes (all of them for some reason) ran out of stock.  Gave me more time to consider what to do.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to use the plunge mechanism - to be honest its nowhere in my 'need' category right now.  If I buy just what I need, the PC is probably the smart way to go.

Still mired obviously.

Oh ok. I was at home depot today and I was reading a mag there that had reviews on the top tools and they had a review on routers. The bosch 1617EVSPK got the best reviews and the porter cable 893PK router came in second then the dewalt DW618PK was in third but got the best readers reviews.  For the price it was between the bosh and the dewalt in the mag.

Archived