Difference between dewalt dc9180 & dc9181

MikeyDubs

Like the topic says whats the difference between the dc9180 and the dc 9181? I just bought the dewalt dck265L drill kit off ebay and should be getting it today and it comes with the dc9181 batteries. So are the dc9180 the xrp batts and what is the difference between them? Do the xrp batts last longer? The reason im asking is im looking into eventually getting the dcd970 hammer drill and was originally going to just get the bare tool but now dont know if I should get the kit that comes with the dc9181 xrp batt that I it comes with? Or will my dc9181 batts be fine with the dcd970 hammer drill? I also will be buying the dc390 circular saw and dc385 recip saw which I will just use the dc9181.

The Dewalt DC9181 Batteries are 1.1Ah Sony Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. The Dewalt DC9180 are 2.2Ah A123 Nano Phosphate Lithium Ion.

Differences are runtime, cycle life, weight, and power density.

DC9181 was designed for those who readily have a charger available, and place a higher importance on weight and ergonomics. It's not suitable for XRP tools, even though they will work in them. You will see slightly less power, and less runtime.

The DC9180 was designed for people who wanted a good balance between weight and runtime. It's got twice the runtime and twice the cycle life over the DC9181.

If you choose to buy the DCD970 as a bare tool, I would not recommend using the DC9181 batteries with it. When you start buying that many bare tools, it's worth it to just buy the kit. You will save money that way.

The Dewalt DC9181 Batteries are 1.1Ah Sony Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. The Dewalt DC9180 are 2.2Ah A123 Nano Phosphate Lithium Ion.

Differences are runtime, cycle life, weight, and power density.

DC9181 was designed for those who readily have a charger available, and place a higher importance on weight and ergonomics. It's not suitable for XRP tools, even thought they will work in them. You will see slightly less power, and less runtime.

The DC9180 was designed for people who wanted a good balance between weight and runtime. It's got twice the runtime and twice the cycle life over the DC9180.

If you choose to buy the DCD970 as a bare tool, I would not recommend using the DC9181 batteries with it. When you start buying that many bare tools, it's worth it to just buy the kit. You will save money that way.

Ok thanks!! It actually makes sense to git the kit as I was looking on ebay earlier and just the bare DC970 goes for around $110-$120 shipped and I can get the kit with the DC970 hammer drill, DC9130 charger and 2 DC9180 XPR batts from around $250-$290.  Now I have another question eventually I would like to get that hammer drill (DC970KL kit) but first I  will be getting the DC390 circular saw and the DC385 recip saw both bare tools and will use my DC9181 batts that came with the DCD265L kit I just got. Will the DC9181 batts work fine with the circular saw and the recip saw? If not like I said eventually I will be getting the hammer drill which comes with 2 DC9180 XRP batts that I can use on the saws.

• 11 months later...

circ saw would be too hard on Sonys. They will last 300 cycles at most if you use them in circ saw exclusively.

Is this true?  I contacted my local Dewalt factory service center and they informed me that both the 9180 and 9181 are currently made with Sony cells. 

Can the XRP 18V tools be run on compact (9181) 18V batteries without detrimental effects to their cycle lifespan?

Yes you can run the compact battery (DC9181) on XRP tools. I would advise against it if you're planning to use them long and hard day in and day out, not only will you run through cycle charges more often, it will also be hard on the batteries , hence shorter battery life. Light/spot duty will be just fine.

circ saw would be too hard on Sonys. They will last 300 cycles at most if you use them in circ saw exclusively.

Is this true?  I contacted my local Dewalt factory service center and they informed me that both the 9180 and 9181 are currently made with Sony cells. 

Can the XRP 18V tools be run on compact (9181) 18V batteries without detrimental effects to their cycle lifespan?

I think that he was thinking the XRP was still mady by A123 Solutions.  I am not sure if Sony bought A123 or if something else happened, but the XRP is now made by Sony as well as the compact lithium ion batteries.

I think that he was thinking the XRP was still mady by A123 Solutions.  I am not sure if Sony bought A123 or if something else happened, but the XRP is now made by Sony as well as the compact lithium ion batteries.

The XRP is offered with two different cells, Sony and A123; the compact has only Sony cells.  Performance is very simular between all of the cells.

Archived