DW400 Angle Grinder Spindle Lock Broken

Zebbart

I got a DW400 Type 2  4.5" angle grinder at an auction, and when I got it home found that the spindle lock is broken, making it about impossible to take off the old worn out cup brush and put anything else on. It looks like the last user pushed in the spindle lock button while the machine was running. Is there any way to fix/replace this? The clamshell is discontinued, and I don't see the spindle lock separately on any parts list. Otherwise, is there any other way to change attachments?

• 3 months later...

I'm just guessing here, but I assume the working of the button is that it pushes a pin into the spindle to hold it while you tighten the attachment. Presumably, if you take it apart, you can eliminate the button and use a flattened nail or similar to catch the spindle as it is rotated. Hopefully, when you inspect the spindle, it will have survived its encounter with the pin.Just make sure while you have it apart that you find the spindle hole and find out what size nail or whatever fits in it before you put it back together again.

I don't think there is any electrical hazard to doing this, but if you want to be a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy, you could use something non conductive as your 'portable pin'.

Archived