What does DW, DC, DCD, ect... stand for?

Steven

models have been all over the board, but current models seem to make more sense.

I could be wrong, but I typically go with these;

DC- Dewalt Cordless

DW- Dewalt Wired

DCD Dewalt Cordless Drill

DCK Dewalt Cordless Kit / Dewalt Combo Kit

X- (DCK655X) Lithium footprint with a NiCd battery packaged

KX- (DCD950KX) Dewalt Cordless Drill Lithium footprint kit, NiCd battery

KL- (DCD970KL) Dewalt Cordless Drill, Lithium Kit

There are other variations, but that sums up the bulk of things.

Guest Jopopsy

As far as I know the DCD760 is the DC720 with a compact lithium ion battery instead of a compact NiCd battery. Much like the DCD950 and the DCD970. Same drill, different battery sold in the kit. There are no specs out yet on the new battery yet either. Retail is going to be $229, $10 more than the DC720. It should be available sometime in October.

Hey, anybody know why the power output in the DC720 is higher then the DC760?  I would think they'd be the same, no?

Guest Jopopsy

So would it be a stretch to say that the tool would last longer b/c its not being used as hard as it could be?  Or did DeWalt take something away from the tool's inards since it wouldn't be used that hard? 

I'd hope its the former since you can slap a 18V XRP Lithium Ion battery onto the bottom of this thing.

Guest Jopopsy

Just picked up my DCD760KL.  Batt is on the charger for the first 8 hour charge.  Initial impressions vs. my Makita mForce is very positive.  Tool feels very balanced, the battery is a feather, and the case actually fits around the tool snugly - my Makita bounced all over the place in their universal case.  There is also JUST enough room for me to leave a quick change adapter on the drill and still have it fit. 

Very nice.

I can also fit a kit of DeWalt screw/drill bits in there. 

I can't wait to spin this drill and see how it behaves, but so far I'm real happy I found this site and JC recommended this particular model to me.

Guest Jopopsy

That's what the manual says for its conditioning charge.  Since its the first charge, I'm going to condition it per the manual.  The manual seems tilted towards NiCad batts, but I figured it can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm eager to get it, but it's not urgent...planned it as an upcoming bday gift for my Dad so i would stop borrowing his dewalt cordless drill, i'll then take his old model...my Dad's a good man, someone i, and others, can always count on...i'm willing to wait for more feedback on the 775 before i give it to someone i deeply respect.  thank you for all the advice from others.

Guest Jopopsy

I doubt either lowes/HD will carry it. You could have Lowes special order it in and use your 10% off? Not sure if that will save you any money, they usually markup special orders.

I actually asked Lowes about special ordering the DCD960KL - they didn't have it in the computer or their product catalogs.  The Tool Manager told me he'd have to call his DeWALT rep during the week if I wanted to pursue. 

I also had a 10% off coupon - but like you said even if Lowes matched FAO I'd only save 4% on the purchase (after adding back sales tax).  That's assuming they price matched a online retailer.

Why go through all the trouble in special ordering the DCD960 when you can buy the DCD970? They are both the same drill, one with hammer feature, and one without; with a $20.00 price difference I don't think it would be worth all the hassle.

I've been told by my local store that is exactly why they don't carry both models in the store, the drills are exactly the same, with & w/o the hammer feature and for the very small price difference they're not going to carry double inventory for them both, that would be too expensive to do so.  If you don't need the hammer feature, well then you don't would use that feature, no real issue there, and if you do need it the model they carry DCD970 has it.  It would be a different story if they carried only the DCD960 and some people needed/wanted the hammer feature; I think the stores have made a wise inventory choice.

Got the same story for the reason they carry the DCD760 compact w/o the hammer feature and not the DCD775 compact with hammer feature.  The stores experience shows that most people wanting a compact unit don't need/want the hammer feature, just the opposite of the full size drill models.  So this is how the stores have balanced things out so to speak.  Yes and of-course DeWalt gives you both choices in full size & compact models, I fully get that. The high cost of inventory and shelf space in local stores doesn't always make good sense to carry every variation that a manufactures makes.  I would tend to agree with the stores product line they carry.

As myself I have the DCD760 compact, just because it's compact, and I also have the the DCD970 full size that has the hammer drill.  I could have easily purchased both with the hammer feature or w/o online, but I feel if I need to use the hammer feature, I'll probably be needing/using a full size cordless drill anyway.

Guest Jopopsy

That makes a lot of sense as far as why stores stock what they do.  I can understand that.  Thankfully I was able to order what I wanted off a redirect from the DeWALT product listing - I got what I wanted so it all worked out.

Sounds like i shouldn't get my hopes too high about seeing the 775 at HD/Lowes, then...been price comparing various online retailers for the DCK266L kit (DCD775 hammerdrill with DCF826 impact driver)...lowest I can find is $299 without tax & fs...i believe northerntool will also throw in a $25 gift card towards a future purchase...

anyways, for the same $299, is the DC988IAR combo (DC988 XRP hammerdrill with DW056 impact driver) a better value?

The 775 is newer, but the 988 is higher end (power, 3-sp tranny, etc.).  Is it basically a trade-off of weight vs. durability/features?  The 988 set also has the longer running (albeit, heavier) batteries!  Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

DCD-DeWalt Cordless Drill

DCBL-DeWalt Cordless Blower

DCST-DeWalt Cordless String Trimmer

DCH-DeWalt Cordless Rotary Hammer

DCC-DeWalt Cordless Compressor

DCS-DeWalt Cordless Saw (recip/circ/Oscillating Tool, et cetera)

DCHS-DeWalt Cordless Hybrid Saw

(FlexVolt)

There are many others and the reason I jumped on this post is because I’m trying to figure out what the “F” is in their Impact Wrenches. They are DCF where I would think them to be “DCW”.

I guess I’ll have to keep digging.