A LOOK INSIDE THE DEWALT DCB120 12V LITHIUM ION BATTERY

kanxrus

A quick update:

The newer dewalt DCB120 batteries are now 1.5ah and have the same cells (I think?) as the milwaukee red lithium/ridgid hyper (see pics).

You can easily tell the new batteries from the old; the newer batteries have 1.5AH on the side battery labels now and the front of the batter has a yellow background with black dewalt logo.

As for the cells, I couldn't find info on them but they look identical to the milwaukee red lithium cells except for a slight difference in the model numbers. Milwaukee uses the samsung INR18650-15M while the dewalt uses samsung INR18650-15B.

Either way, I'm extremely satisfied with the dewalt 12 volt max tools I have (flashlight, drill/driver and screwdriver with the impact coming soon). I appreciate that dewalt is using some good cells in their batteries.

So in real life terms, will that new battery improve in what? i am newbie to the battery technology. thanks.

And in exchange for what?

From my understanding...

dewalt 12v max dcb120 - sanyo UR18650SAX - 25A max continuous

dewalt 20v max dcb201 (1.5AH) - sanyo  UR18650SWX - 20A max continuous

dewalt 20v max dcb200  (3.0AH) - sanyo UR18650SW - 15A max continuous

edit: i am guessing the above amp rating is per cell and of our course the 12v max has less cells than the 20 max 3.0AH.

so I guess I may be answering my own question... in exchange for amp draw? IOW, longer run times while sacrificing torque for higher mAh? Or do I have that backwards?

edit: this guy in amazon says the following "these are actually 1.3ah battery packs." here... http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCB120-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery/product-reviews/B0043XX8AY/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2/184-7780749-9435940?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

been reading about batter tech and i believe i have a better grasp of the technology. i could not find any info about those 15b batteries just this...

ROLva.png

maybe they are new and yet to make it out in the wild. only way to get the info is to ask dewalt for :)..

dewalt also needs to give us 2.0AH like Milwaukee will be given to their 12v fuel line soon...

"The new Milwaukee REDLITHIUMâ„¢ 2.0 batteries provide up to 2X more run-time, 20% more power and 2X more recharges than standard Lithium-Ion batteries."

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/fuel/press-m12.html

also, looks like bosch is getting in the brushless too and will include 2.0AH batts as well.

w3WB3.png

http://www.boschtools.com/core/Pages/boschcore.aspx?WT.ac=BT_Home_Mainbanner2_Core_body

• 5 months later...