Reviews of DCD775 compact li-ion hammerdrill/drill?

Guest dbpass

Hello, I've scanned this forum and several tool review sites but can't find any decent reviews for the DCD775.

The few comments on the Dewalt product page aren't very flattering.  Several people are reporting issues with the chuck:

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-drills-hammerdrills-dcd775kl.aspx#tabs-3

Would anybody else be willing to post some more detailed thoughts or comments?  

Many thanks.

Dave

I have not reviewed this particular drill yet. It's much the same as the Dewalt model DCD760 with a hammer function and different chuck. The DCD760 is the DC720, only the DC720 comes with a NiCd battery. I mention this because there is not shortage of reviews on the DC720 on this site. So if your looking for a particular review on the hammer function, I can't be of much assistance.

Thanks for the reply, that's helpful info.  The chuck is what concerns me, as it seems the few comments out there on this model mention issues with the chuck.  Anyone out there had a better experience with the chuck on the DCD775?

• 6 months later...

What's different between the older dc759 & the newer dc720/dcd760?

I noticed the Dewalt website rated the older drill at 380 uwo & the newer one at 350 uwo.

All I remember is when I bought my 759 new years ago, the cardboard around the case said 450 in lbs torque.

What's different between the older dc759 & the newer dc720/dcd760?

I noticed the Dewalt website rated the older drill at 380 uwo & the newer one at 350 uwo.

All I remember is when I bought my 759 new years ago, the cardboard around the case said 450 in lbs torque.

This may help you with your question.

http://dewaltownersgroup.com/index.php/topic,398.0.html

The DC759 uses a less efficient motor than the DC760 and 720. The 760 and the 720 are the same drill, just come with different batteries. The 720 is rated at with higher UWO because the NiCd battery has a higher energy density. If you were to change batteries on the DC760 you would get a higher UWO.

Thanks for info.  I bought a DCD760 bare tool.  You are right, it is identical to my friend's DC720 except the 760 has the smaller nano base.  I also compared the new 760 with my old 'Classic' DC759 type 1 (which is maybe 10 years old); the 760 has more rubber, is maybe 1 inch shorter (from chuck tip to back of motor), & has a LED.  Only thing I dont like about the 760 is the shifter on top is not painted, hard to see the '1' or '2'.  When I bought my DC759 kit it was $290 (it came with 2 black top versions of the DC9096 battery), today I see it at a Lowe's special for $120.  Only problem I have with my 759 is the reverse/forward switch is getting sloppy (does not have a solid feel or click to it anymore) & the paint for the numbers on the clutch ring (Adjust Collar) have mostly worn off.  I do recommend the DC759KA to anyone who wants a very good inexpensive drill.  I just wanted everyone to know these drills last years with minimal issues.

Archived