DeWalt DC500 2 Gallon wet/dry vac

Steven

It is not a charger. It will not accept the lithium batteries unless you have your local service center modify it for you. Here is a list of tools that won't accept the lithium batteries.

DC212  -SDS Hammerdrill (older NiCd base)

DW908 -Pivoting Head Flashlight (older NiCd base)

DC527  -Fluorescent Area Light

DC500  -Corded\Cordless Vacuum

DW073  -Manual Leveling Rotary Laser

I own one. It's a great vac, good suction, good capacity for what I need. Complaints, it's loud, and the runtime is pretty minimal. I think around 15 minutes with a XRP battery. Good thing it's got a cord!

• 4 months later...

i just found out today that the newer lithium batteries dont fit, but the earlier version without the black label does fit.  why is this?  the newer version of the battery has some extra tabs that wont let it fit.  should i just cut the tabs off the battery? 

can someone explain the tabs on the newer 18v lithium batteries?

Information from 2007 issued by DEWALT;

The DC9180 NANO batteries are compatible with any of the 250 18v cordless tools DEWALT has introduced except for the following:

DC212  -SDS Hammerdrill

DW908 -Pivoting Head Flashlight

DC527  -Fluorescent Area Light

DC500  -Corded\Cordless Vacuum

DW073  -Manual Leveling Rotary Laser

If you have one of these tools please contact the nearest DEWALT Factory service center for information on how to have your tool retrofitted for this new battery. To find your nearest DEWALT Factory service center use our DEWALT Service Center Locator.

Some of these have been fixed since 2007.

i dont think i was clear in my previous post.  the black label lithium ion battery fits.  the newer yellow label doesnt fit the vaccum.

as you can see in the photos, the newer yellow battery has additional tabs on the tip of the battery.

i'm just wondering why dewalt did this. 

what exactly does the tool modification consist of?

can i just cut the tabs off the battery?

EDIT:  i just looked again, and the black battery did originaly have tabs on it.  the person i got it from had cut them off, and did a clean job.    i guess i'll do the same with the other battery.

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

http://uploader.ws/upload/201103/IMAG0175_1.jpg

http://uploader.ws/upload/201103/IMAG0176_2.jpg

The tab is on the li-On batteries so that they will not fit into the older black dewalt chargers, as they will not recognize li-on batteries and damage them.  As was previously stated, we do guarentee all 18v tools to fit all 18 volt batteries, so if you have one of the above mentioned tools, take it to the service center and have it modified.  Dont' shave the batteries, as the tab is there so that you (or someone else) does not accidentily or unknowingly put the battery in the wrong charger and ruin it.

The tab is on the li-On batteries so that they will not fit into the older black dewalt chargers, as they will not recognize li-on batteries and damage them.  As was previously stated, we do guarentee all 18v tools to fit all 18 volt batteries, so if you have one of the above mentioned tools, take it to the service center and have it modified.  Dont' shave the batteries, as the tab is there so that you (or someone else) does not accidentily or unknowingly put the battery in the wrong charger and ruin it.

are you saying dewalt will do this at no charge?

are you saying dewalt will do this at no charge?

This was free after the launch of DeWalts lithium, but I am not sure if it still is or not.  Definately check with your local service center and they can give you all the information you need.

• 10 months later...

Just got my Dewalt DC500 vac (Type 1) from CPO Dewalt.  Not the best prices, but good customer service & fast shipping.

Right out of the box, mine acepted the DC9180 Li-Ion battery.  Door closes good.  I have noticed that when switching between battery/AC there is a 2 second hesitation after unpluging it until battery kicks in.  I also noticed that the motor seems to run faster on battery.

My date code is: 2011 44-UB

(found under battery slot in door)

Just to let everyone know I found out that there are 2 replacement filters for it;

DC5001 (standard)

or

DC5001H (Hepa)

It only takes 1 filter at a time (my Shop Vac takes 2; the paper towl like filter wraps around the foam sleeve filter).

I think it comes with the standard filter.

Archived