TESTING MILWAUKEE'S M12 RED LITHIUM ION BATTERY

kanxrus

Hi, all. New member here but thought I would give my experience. I am not a contractor but a homeowner. I do use my tools regularly for "stuff". Fixing this and adding that. Running wire here or building shelves there. Anyway, I recently bought the 12v Max drill/impact combo. I really like it but I kept reading so many positive things about the Milwaukee M12 that I bought the hammerdrill/impact combo to test alongside the Dewalt. I just got back from Home Depot where I returned the Milwaukee. I took the M12 out of the box and charged the batteries. Then I put a 3/4" paddle bit in each tool and proceeded to drill a few holes as if I were going to run wire through studs. I am about to build a storage shed so I thought that would be a good test. Anyway, after about four or five holes, the Milwaukee started smoking and just shut off. The battery gauge lights just flashed when I pulled the trigger. After it cooled down, it ran fine for a while. The Dewalt drilled seven holes without a hiccup so I stopped the test. Then I started running 2.5" deck screws through a 2x4 which I will be doing when I build the storage building as well as the privacy fence I am building soon. The Milwaukee was sluggish while the Dewalt drove the screws home without a hitch. I realize that this is not a scientific test by any means but, for what I plan on using the drill for, it's pretty convincing. Granted, Milwaukee offers alot of tools in the M12 line, but if they all perform this way, what difference does it make? Now I have to decide if I want to keep the Dewalt 12v Max or return it and buy the Makita LCT200W kit that comes with a drill, impact driver, two batteries and charger. It is only $29 more than the 12v Max and at 18 volts, it is alot more powerful. However, the internet has alot of negatives when it comes to the batteries (1.5 amp LXT) that come in that set.

Good review!  Sometimes "scientific" tests can get too far away from "real world application", so I like what you did.  I am glad that you had such good results with the DeWALT.

As far as the Makita an higher voltage portion, you are right in that the 18v makita will have more power and run time than a 12v MAX, but you are also right in that there have been a lot of issues with Makita's batteries, and even tools.  One thing that is pretty surprising as well, is that with the screws you are talking about using, the DeWALT 12v MAX impact may even perform faster than the Makita 18v impact.  What I would recommend looking in to is a DeWALT 20v MAX kit if you are needing more power.  The 20v MAX is priced very competitively, and will have the best combination of ergonomics, light weight, battery life and service coverage, and overall tool performance.

Good luck to you in your tool search!

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to post a picture of the top of the battery cells?  Specifically the smaller 3 terminals/wiring?  I am particularly interested in how the 'temp' prong/electrical contact is wired???

Reason I ask is I am building a lithium polymer battery for the M12 series of tools, but they all have a 'temp' prong on the tooling.  Does anyone know what kind of signal the temp prong sends???

I would be friends with someone forever if they had any info!  Thanks! ;D