Stuck clutch/transmission DC987 xrp

Ben Cartwright

My DC987 xrp is stuck in the drill mode. The clutch collar will not turn out of the drill setting.

I was looking at the ereplacement website and I see instructions for removing the transmission but I am unclear if my problem is the transmission or the clutch? The speed switch for the transmission works fine but the drill will not change into any of the driver/clutch settings.

Thanks

Ben

It's defiantly inside your clutch ring. Commonly it's the detent spring. Sometimes you can force it, sometimes you can't. If you can't force-ably open it, then either your detent spring is jammed, or you've got something else going on. Either way you might have to take it in and have it serviced.

It's defiantly inside your clutch ring. Commonly it's the detent spring. Sometimes you can force it, sometimes you can't. If you can't force-ably open it, then either your detent spring is jammed, or you've got something else going on. Either way you might have to take it in and have it serviced.

Thanks for the reply, I think your diagnoses is likely correct. I got the nose piece off and noticed that just holding the collar down on the detent spring the clutch could be switched to all positions. I put a little lube on the spring and reassembled. Once reassembled it would not work again, just stuck in the drill position.

I then backed the three screws out a bit and it started working. As long as I don't tighten the three screws down tight it works. I wonder if that detent spring wears out and just needs to be replaced?

Thanks

1105553279_cVoeG-S.jpg

Archived