Question about DCD760KL

roadhog96

Just got the Drill/Driver for Christmas. Doing some homework on it to see if it's as good as I have heard. Curious why it wasn't designed with a belt clip. I've seen pictures of the DC720 with and without a belt clip. Supposedly the DC760 is the same as the DC720 only difference I can see is the length of the docking base for the batteries. I would have thought the DC760 would have the clip seeing how it is the newer version. All the new 12V tools show a belt clip. I'm not hung up on belt clips but if your working on a ladder and need both hands what do you do with the drill? Some of the other brands out there have belt clips, why not the Dewalt DC760?

Also, the compact batteries that came with this drill are the new Phosphate Li-on right?

The DC760 drill is rated at 350 UWO, the DC720 is rated at 410 UWO. Is this because of the batter sizes they came with? If the DC760 had a XRP Li-on battery would it have a higher UWO rating.

Speaking of UWO rating, why does Dewalt use this type of rating? Most other manufactures are rating in inch. lbs. How can you do a comparison?

With a plastic sleeve instead of metal, will the 0-500 drive handle running in 3 1/2" deck screws or will it be too much strain on this design. I know Dewalt has some drill/drives with all metal gear cases but they are not considered compact.

The USA model DC720 does not include a belt clip, nor will it accept one. Similar models sold across the pond come with belt clips. The only US model 18v driver that will mount a belt hook are the impact drivers. Why? Anyone's guess? If your working on a ladder, Dewalt offers a drill holster you can slip your drill into. Most newer ladders sold today include a large enough hole to holster a drill.

The batteries included are the Sony Iron Phosphate batteries. Upside, longer cycle life, more stable chemistry. Downside, Ah (runtime)

The DC760 will have no problems driving 3 1/2" screws into decking material.

The USA model DC720 does not include a belt clip, nor will it accept one. Similar models sold across the pond come with belt clips. The only US model 18v driver that will mount a belt hook are the impact drivers. Why? Anyone's guess? That's why I asked, doesn't make any since they offer it on an impact driver and drill/drivers across the pond but not here in the USA, we were belts too.

If your working on a ladder, Dewalt offers a drill holster you can slip your drill into. Most newer ladders sold today include a large enough hole to holster a drill.

The holster might have to be an option seeing how Dewalt skimped on a 50 cent clip. But I'm not going to buy all new ladders just for a place to rest my drill, ladders aren't cheap. I wonder if Dewalts design engineers have any hands on experience working in the real world and I'm not talking about sitting behind a desk for 8 hrs a day. They need to be involved with people who rely on and use tools for a living to find out what is needed. Maybe they do listen and do know but the ideas are not implemented do to production cost. I'm not suggesting buying tools from China but they seem to offer better features, to bad they are built cheaper. An external Brush replacement would have been nice also. I like Dewalt tools but I see room for improvement with some of them. They certainly look the part. I was very disappointed when I saw the topic on A LOOK INSIDE THE DEWALT DCD710 12V LITHIUM ION DRILL/DRIVER and saw that the motor was made in China, I though Dewalt tools were made in the USA. The batteries included are the Sony Iron Phosphate batteries. Upside, longer cycle life, more stable chemistry. Downside, Ah (runtime)

I wonder if Dewalts design engineers have any hands on experience working in the real world and I'm not talking about sitting behind a desk for 8 hrs a day. They need to be involved with people who rely on and use tools for a living to find out what is needed.

Dewalt does some of the most extensive R&D out there. They design tools around their customers. They add upgrades to the tool that are a little less obvious. Upgrades that cost a lot more, this is why you pay a premium and why in some cases you don't get bell's and whistles. Examples... Xenoy plastic is used in most of the newer 18v drivers, it cost's more, but allows your drill to flex rather than snap in half when it's dropped. They use a high grade neodymium rare earth magnets in their newer model drivers. This allows more power at higher RPM's, Makita and Milwaukee use cheaper magnets, and get around the loss of power by using 4pole motor's instead of 2pole. Sure you get high torque, but the RPM's slow way down. I'd prefer to get the job done faster. I can go on and on.... chucks, switches, etc. Take a look at some of the "look inside" threads and you will see what I'm talking about.

Maybe they do listen and do know but the ideas are not implemented do to production cost. I'm not suggesting buying tools from China but they seem to offer better features, to bad they are built cheaper. An external Brush replacement would have been nice also. I like Dewalt tools but I see room for improvement with some of them. They certainly look the part. I was very disappointed when I saw the topic on A LOOK INSIDE THE DEWALT DCD710 12V LITHIUM ION DRILL/DRIVER and saw that the motor was made in China, I though Dewalt tools was made in the USA.

It's pretty rare to find any tool made in the USA any more. Most of Dewalt's tools are made in Mexico.

The USA model DC720 does not include a belt clip, nor will it accept one. Similar models sold across the pond come with belt clips. The only US model 18v driver that will mount a belt hook are the impact drivers. Why? Anyone's guess? If your working on a ladder, Dewalt offers a drill holster you can slip your drill into. Most newer ladders sold today include a large enough hole to holster a drill.

The batteries included are the Sony Iron Phosphate batteries. Upside, longer cycle life, more stable chemistry. Downside, Ah (runtime)

http://www.experts123.com/q/how-is-a-power-rating-uwo-generated.html

Thanks for that Link. The DC760 drill is rated at 350 UWO with the compact DC9181 battery.The DC720 is rated at 410 UWO using the DC9096 NiCad battery. These are the same drills, just have a different base for the battery. Is the UWO rating different because of the battery sizes that came with these drills? If the DC760 used the larger XRP DC9180 Li-on battery or the XRP DC9096 NiCad battery would it have a higher UWO rating? I'm guessing it would but I have seen no test done on the DC760 using the XRP batteries.

Archived