Drill bit sets? Spade and hole saw

chickenturd

Howdy all,

I finally bucked up and got myself a DCD970 Li-Ion hammer drill and I am very stoked about it. The power of this thing is causing me to blow through my old Ryobi drill bits.

So I need recommendations for some new sets. I prefer to not have to buy any individual bits so I rather get a large set up-front. 

For wood/spade, I've been looking at the Bosce 13 piece:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DSB5013P-DareDevil-13-Piece-Spade/dp/B002GU6QAA/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

But the 10 piece is much cheaper, i just hate to loose 4 bit sizes:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DSB5010-DareDevil-10-Piece-Extension/dp/B002GU6QEG/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

What do yall think?

For hole saws, I guess everyone here would recommend the Dewalt set:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D180005-Piece-Master-Hole/dp/B000HCZ4FW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

But it is very pricey. Has anyone had luck with the port-cable or ridgid sets? Or even Irwin?

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industrial-3073004-General-17-Piece/dp/B00126FIAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1295988848&sr=1-1

I build fish keeping systems so I mostly use the hole saws for plastic tanks and water cisterns. However there would be wood uses and also I wouldn't mind if I could use them on metal when needed.

I believe in going big, but i'm on a major budget. I'll buy expensive tools when I know I can use them for a very, very long time.

I think the Bosch set is a good set, they are designed to wrip through material quick! Dewalt has a 6pc spade bit set on Amazon that I really like, they are designed to dig through nail's in that unlucky event you hit one. Rather than damaging your blade, it will cut through the nails.

I own that Dewalt Hole Saw kit, and it has not failed me yet! If your looking for a set for the long haul that would be my first choice.

Thank you dewalt dude. The dewalt spade set sounds awesome. I just wise it had more sizes.

As far as the whole saw kit... I kinda like Milwaukee but only because I can easily buy any size I ever need (I don't see that with dewalt, or maybe i'm not looking hard enough?) I anticipated having to cut a lot of odd sizes like 4" 1/4, or 5" 1/2. 

Personaly I think this kind of holesaws is only good for metal ( bi metal hole saws ) and plastic. But on wood, mdf, plyfa and so on I personaly think they suck. They just got hot and burning the wood.

For small holes up to 32 mm I think spade bits is the best in long run with money value on mind. They are qiut cheap and very often you hit a nail and the spade bit is destroyed. ( have not tried this nail proof dewalt bits so can not say something about them )

For larger holes in plyfa, wood and mdf etc I think these are very good.

http://www.holecutterstore.com/xcart/BLUE-BOAR-5-1-4-133mm-Self-Feed-Tungsten-Carbide-2-1-4-deep-hole-saw-p-146.html

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the accessories.  Hole saws are great for really large dia. holes, as well as making clean holes for finished material (door nob installations, plumbing fixtures, etc.) but they are slower than spade bits, self feed bits, or ship auger bits.  You can also use forstner bits for clean holes, but they do not come in as large of dia. sizes as hole saws.  For a chicken coup however, I would guess that you do not care if the hole is "clean" or not, so I would agree that spade bits are a great option.  As far as the DeWalt bits being nail "proof", that is not quite accurate.  They have a better designed shoulder on the bit, so that they are able to cut through nails, but that will still dull them.  The big benifit is that if where to hit a nail with any other competitive spade bits, it would ruin them, making them not cut at all anymore, as apposed to just not cutting as well.  I have a bunch of the DeWalt spade bits and love them.  Plus, they are impact rated, so you can used them in your impact driver as well as your drill driver!

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the accessories.  Hole saws are great for really large dia. holes, as well as making clean holes for finished material (door nob installations, plumbing fixtures, etc.) but they are slower than spade bits, self feed bits, or ship auger bits.  You can also use forstner bits for clean holes, but they do not come in as large of dia. sizes as hole saws.  For a chicken coup however, I would guess that you do not care if the hole is "clean" or not, so I would agree that spade bits are a great option.  As far as the DeWalt bits being nail "proof", that is not quite accurate.  They have a better designed shoulder on the bit, so that they are able to cut through nails, but that will still dull them.  The big benifit is that if where to hit a nail with any other competitive spade bits, it would ruin them, making them not cut at all anymore, as apposed to just not cutting as well.  I have a bunch of the DeWalt spade bits and love them.  Plus, they are impact rated, so you can used them in your impact driver as well as your drill driver!

Is it easy to sharp the dewalt spade bit after hitting a nail? My irwin spadebits have like small "ears" that always get ruined after hitting a nail and sharp them up is not a option. You need a different file for different size on the spade bits due to this "ears" or maybee I should call it cutting teeth or something like that. Anyone who have tried those TUNGSTEEN CARBIDE HOLE SAWS? They are quit expensive so would be nice if anyone knows if they are good. I will proberly try them out. Working as a electrician and are making a lot of holes for spotlights, outlets and light switches.

You definitely could sharpen the dewalt spade bits.  Getting rid of that cutting point that you find on the Irwins as well as any other competitor bits is actually what makes the DeWalt able to "cut" nails.  They got rid of that point and instead put a cutting shoulder onto it, which could be sharpened. 

Archived