DeWatlt 18V 1.1Ah vs Makita 9.6 1.3Ah battery comparison

roadhog96

I finally tried my new DCD760. Thought I'd try driving some wood screws seeing how I have a lot of them to do this spring. After trying it out I decided to compare it to the Makita I have been using for the last several years. It's a Makita 9.6V drill/driver that uses 1.3 Ah Nicd batteries.

I ran a #10 3 1/2" screw into a pressure treated 4x4 without any predrilling. I did this several times using each drill/driver on the low rpm High Torque setting. They both had no trouble doing it but the Makita gave me the feeling it had more umph. I could feel the Torque and the whine of the gearing like it had more low end power. You know the sound I'm talking about, slow, high pitch sound of a high torque drill.

The DeWalt ran it in quietly. Didn't feel anyway near the same, kind of hard to describe. No motor or gear whining, didn't feel like it would twist my arm off. Maybe the Makita has lower gearing.

Does the DCD760 even have a true low gear reduction transmission or is the switch used to limit the rpm to no more than 500.

Maybe someone could explain how the battery ratings work. Which of the two batteries would you expect to out perform.

Which battery has more power, which one would run longer before needing a charge.  

The DeWalt has almost twice the voltage but feels like it has less power. It's more comfortable and has better features but reminds me of, lets just say, not a mans drill.

Maybe if the DeWalt had the DC180 Lion in stead of the DC181 it would have more growl. Again the differences between the two;

DeWalt                       Makita

18V 1.1Ah                  9.6V 1.3Ah  

0-500 0-1700              0-400 0-1100                

You do realize that "gear whining" is a sign of strain, and that it means that you are pushing the motor and transmission to its limit, right?  So what your test is in fact showing is that the DeWalt was doing it with plenty of power to spare, and that it wasn't having to work nearly as hard to complete the application, which is why it was quiet and didn't "whine". 

As was said though, this is a complete apples to oranges comparison, as no 9.6v should be able to hang in there with a top quality 18v.

Apples to Oranges maybe but the gear whining isn't from straining. It makes the same noise when you pull the trigger with no load, did this from day one. My 1/2" electric drill makes the same type of noise. It's a very low rpm high torque drill that will twist your arm off if your not careful with it. I use this drill for boring bits and holes saws. I've heard many commercial drills with this same sound. The DeWalt is quiet in comparison.

Maybe the DeWalt isn't laboring as much because it does have that extra power in reserve. My test wasn't by any means a good "apples to apples oranges to oranges" comparison. I just didn't get the same feeling from both drills and it didn't make any sense. I would have thought the DeWalt would have just about twisted my arm of being more powerful. I guess the real test will come once I start using it on the project this spring.

No one really answered my question about the battery ratings. How do these two batteries compare with each other. What are the advantages with having a 18V vs a 9.6V? What differences should I notice between the two, charge time, run time, power, life cycle, etc.

Sorry, didn't see that question.  The difference will mostly be power.  You will also see a difference in runtime if you use them for the same applications.  the 9.6v is made for smaller applications, so if you use the two tools for their intended purposes (smaller stuff for the 9.6v and harder applications for the 18v) you will see similar runtime results due to the similar amp hour ratings.  The DeWalt is a more efficient tool though (meaning that it will be more efficient at transferring energy from the batter, through the tool, and out the chuck) with equates to longer tool life (because it runs cooler, and excessive heat breaks down mechanical parts) and longer run time per charge (because the biggest cause of energy loss from the battery to the chuck is due to heat from friction and inefficiency).  DeWalts new 18volts (from the past couple of years) use the most efficient motors and transmissions in the industry, which is why less amp hour batteries result in similar runtime to competitive tools. 

Anyway, hope this helps!

Thanks for your help, you confirmed what I thought might be the case with these batteries. I have a feeling I'm going to eventually upgrade to the DC180 batteries once these DC181 are shot. The difference in charge cycles and run time and UWO increase make it worth the extra $20.00 and I doubt the weight difference between the two would be a problem.

Archived