DEWALT 18v (20v Max) Tools For 2011

midogrumpy

hi

it looks like a new slide-on battery 18V (20Vmax) "is around the corner" and of course tools to go with it

any news for launch / any pictures avail yet ?

any info on what kind of tools will be avail. at initial launch?

I read somewhere else that the new charger will be compatible with 12V max slide-on and can charge those batteries too!

You can find bread crumbs here and there on the internet, if you just know where to look?

Maybe some type of government site.....?  ::)

Or maybe even under Black&Decker's own website, something to do with safety...? ::)

I've put some time into this, and here is what I've discovered.

Black and Decker website, under Lithium Safety guidelines I found a PDF file containing 2 lithium ion model numbers not currently listed in DEWALTS arsenal. DCB140/141, and DCB180/181. DEWALTS current 12 max is model DCB120. This would lead me to believe that these are DEWALT slide pack bats. You can see that information here http://support.blackanddecker.com/ci/fattach/get/109615/

If you go to energystar.gov and type in DEWALT in the search bar, you will find another file for Energy Star rated battery chargers. On line 48 you will see a charger not currently listed in DEWALTS chargers. Model DCB101, it say's it will charge 12v-20v max li-ion bats. Found here http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.energystar.gov%2Fia%2Fproducts%2Fprod_lists%2FBCS_prod_list.xls&rct=j&q=dewalt%20dcb101&ei=N7dZTYvwA4v2tgPC1d2YCg&usg=AFQjCNE7KjoHUCrqdqaPPLi50rjKU2zhRQ&sig2=WKo98X3eKZeO_Ig_De6JNQ

All of this would make me believe that DEWALT is in fact coming out with a new lithium line in 12v, 14v, and 20v. Based on the information provided above.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Why would DeWalt change it's mind and go to a slide pack like most of the other pro manufacturers- now we have to buy all of these frickin' tools again??? C'mon, man- Not happy!! I'm gonna go look at the milwaukee's or ridgid's new stuff if this is the case!!! THIS DOES NOT FIT, like the previous slogan said....this is disapointing. >:(  ???

This was the one thing that you had going for you, not going away from the battery we all have had. Now what? A little help here please?

1st of all DEWALT has officially said nothing about a slide pack battery in any other voltage besides 12v, 28v, and 36v. Pure speculation at this point. Does it make sense? Sure!

2nd of all DEWALT has honored it's stem pack, and has kept the same 18v battery around longer than anyone I can think of. That's brand, and end user loyalty if you ask me!

3rd, I can think of a lot of reasons why a slide-pack batter would make sense. It's cheaper to manufacture, it creates a tool that is better designed from a ergonomics standpoint, (12v Max is a testament to that) It creates a slightly lighter tool. You'd be surprised how many people bicker over ounces these day's. If the market didn't cry out for it, you would not see so much competition for it.

So if you add all of this up, it makes perfect sense to join the highly competitive market. Let's speculate for a moment. If DEWALT did join the market with a slide-pack battery, they would not drop the current line. That makes no sense, I would speculate the current line will be around years to come, regardless of anything else they decide to roll.

Why would DeWalt change it's mind and go to a slide pack like most of the other pro manufacturers- now we have to buy all of these frickin' tools again??? C'mon, man- Not happy!! I'm gonna go look at the milwaukee's or ridgid's new stuff if this is the case!!! THIS DOES NOT FIT, like the previous slogan said....this is disapointing. >:(  ???

This was the one thing that you had going for you, not going away from the battery we all have had. Now what? A little help here please?

do you only buy tools once in your lifetime?  relax, they wont be gone overnight.  even if dewalt stops making the 18 volt, it'd take a long time to sell off the remaining inventor, and you'll always find them on ebay. and by then your 18 volt should be used up.

personaly, i hate the 18 volt battery shape.  give me a rectangular shape, that can easily sit in my tool belt, or be stacked easy.  plus slide on batteries are more securely attached, versus two little spring loaded tabs on the current 18v.

its time for change.

Haha...  the stem pack is not the only thing Dewalt has going for it. By the way, when Dewalt came out with 24, 28, and 36 volt, they didn't do away with the 18v stem pack. What makes you think they'll do away with it if they were to come out with a 20v?

I'm gonna go look at the milwaukee's or ridgid's new stuff if this is the case!!! THIS DOES NOT FIT, like the previous

if your concerned about the battery why would you go with milwaukee? they have changed there battery up a few times in recent years and they are not interchangeable with the old tools from what i have herd

I'm gonna go look at the milwaukee's or ridgid's new stuff if this is the case!!! THIS DOES NOT FIT, like the previous

if your concerned about the battery why would you go with milwaukee? they have changed there battery up a few times in recent years and they are not interchangeable with the old tools from what i have herd

Seriously, that's funny!  Getting upset with a company for being rumored to offer a new line, in addition to their existing lines (18v having not changed in 15 years, and all being compatible even with technology upgrades), because it would not be compatible.  Yet he talks about looking at companies who have changed platforms 3 and 5 times respectively in the past 7 years.  Good luck with that...

They May have changed the look of the tools, but they keep getting smaller and better in terms of battery life and performance as well as staying backwards compatible (ridgid), and the milwaukee guys seem to be on top of their game in terms of innovation. Thats v18 line was no good, but m18 is looking pretty good. Who else is coming out with new tools, new batteries and new to the market innovation? I'm just sayin', I really hope its not the same as them with a black and yellow paint job. Be original, not copying the same thing.

Rigid is backwards compatible, but not forwards.  Milwaukee is not in either direction, and if you look at the performance of their tools in the m18 line, you would see that they still can't hang with the DeWalts in durability, speed of application, number of tools available (except for the m12 line, where they clearly have more than anyone else).  I regularly run my 6 year old DC988 that was used in the construction field every day of it's life against the new m18 line, and they still get beat (not by as much as the new DeWalt XRP stuff though).  Milwaukee is coming out with some cool ideas, but put together with sub-par components.

As far as DeWalt coming out with new ideas and not "just the same thing painted black and yellow", isn't that the point of this whole post?  Granted that this whole post is just rumor and speculation, but the topic is all about DeWalt coming out with another line, giving end users more options, more price points, etc.  Look at Milwaukee (and the rest of the tool competitors for that matter) and see who came out with the majority of the tools first where DeWalt came out with a new idea and the competitors reverse-engineered it.

Anyway, look market wide and the clear leader is DeWalt (according to numerous independent market research reports, not speculation or personal opinion).  Keep watching this year (and beyond) as there will be a lot of new and exciting tools! 

Archived