DC988

Dan - TIA

I have a DC988 and the 18v NICD battery is at the end of its life. Should I just get a new 18V lithium pack for it? Is there a new 18V lithium system coming out soon?  I like the DC988 except for the torque ring gets a little sticky sometimes. Whats a better or comparable drill out there now? I like the DCD970KL is that comparable?

Thanks for your help!

if you want to use the lithium-ion batteries, you also need the new style charger that goes along with them.

by the time you spend the money on those, you're better off just getting a new kit.

amazon has the 18v hammer drill kit with the new style batteries for around 260 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD970KL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Hammerdrill/dp/B001UHOUU8/

Sounds like your drill is still in good shape, I would pick up 2 new NiCad batteries for the DC988, double packs usually found for $100. Unless weight is really a concern for you then the NiCad batteries are durable and much more affordable than lithium. Rumors are there may be a new line of lithium tools coming out this year. They will not be replacing the 18 volt though. But if you are thinking you may be interested in the new line, I would stick with the 988.

Hmm thanks for the input, I think I will watch for the new drill on sale, grab that and then if Dewalt comes out with a new one ill get that too. I looked at some Milwaukee and Makita's this weekend and they don't even compare to the quality of my 988.

Dewalt makes a damn fine drill.

Archived