DW 735 planer

Bob Tilley

I am having a problem with the roller feed on the right side of my DW 735 planer.  It does stops and gos.  The left side of the planer works fine.  Since I use the right side most often I'm wondering if the knives are dull on the right side and that is what is causing the "stop and go"?  I felt of the knives by running my thumb over them and they do not seem to be as sharp as they were when new.  If the knives need to be replaced how do I do that?

Both of the feed rollers are one piece each, so it shouldn't be a problem with the mechanism.  One thing could be that the right side rollers are getting slick and not gripping the material as well, so you could try cleaning them off.  As far as changing the blades, they are actually two sided, so you can just turn them around.  To do this, use the included allen tool to take out the four screws from the top cover of the planer.  After pulling the cover off, you will see three elongated wing nuts (colered red I think), unscrew those and remove the blade cover.  This exposes the cutter head.  Spin the cutter head until it locks into place, uncrew all the screws on the blade, remove the blade clamp, and using the magnets on the handle of the included allen tool to pick up the blade and turn it to the other side.  Replace the screws, and look to the side of the cutter head for the locking mechinism.  Push the lock release and spin the cutter head to the next blade and repeat, then spin to the third and last knife to finish up. 

It is a really easy process, and once you open up the tool you will be able to figure it out very easily.  After you dull out the new side, you can get new blades pretty much anywhere the DeWalt planers are sold(except Home Depot, where they are not stocked but are available for order).

Hope that this helps!

Just be very careful, I cut my finger open just getting my finger to close to the blade when I was removing one of the screws. Also, their is a blade lever lock on the right had side that must be re-engaged when you put the planer back together. Make sure the dust shroud is properly seated against the lever lock. If it's not, your in for a rude awakening when you start the motor!

Archived