Anyone else have mixed feelings with the new 18v tools?

roadhog96

I like what I'm hearing about the newly designed 18v tools. As soon as I saw the 12v Max I said they should have done the same for the 18v. DeWalt was a little slow with these new models seeing how most of the other competitors have had similar designs for a few years now.

I'd be willing to bet the 18v will be a big brother model with all the same features. One thing about these that bother me is the fact that the brushes cannot be changed. DeWalt boasted about how robust their brushes were and how they can be changed on the earlier drills/drivers etc. You don't hear anything about he new tools. Seems like such a waist to dump a motor for a brush replacement.

I'd also be willing to bet that the brushes in the new tools are smaller than they use to be and will probably wear out much faster. Over the next several years the cost of changing the motor will increase like everything else. The 12v is $13.55 plus shipping? What will it be 5-6 years down the road. The 12v Impact Driver replacerment motor is $16.50. The 18v will probably be a little higher to start with. Some  day they may be as high as $20-30.00. To replace brushes now, it cost about $6.00 for the set plus shipping. Maybe even a Tax charge in certain cases. Either way DeWalt has a lot to gain on this design. Less parts to deal with and they make more profit.

In reality, I've never burned out a set of brushes so it's probably not going to effect me as much as the next guy unless like I said the brushes are smaller and wear out sooner than the old style.

I wonder if the price of the new tools will be higher or drive the older style down.

I recently bought a DCK-265L Kit and haven't used it for the project that I originally bought it for. I have 90 days from date of purchase to return it. I don't know if DeWalt is going to release the new line before then or just after my 90 days is up. Probably the later.

The thing that bugs me about keeping it is I know from other similar experiences that once a new model comes out all new related products are geared around the new concept. They will continue to take care of previous customers to a point. At some point in time they will have to stop. If I need parts or have to replace one of the tools down the road in several years will it be available or will I have to buy a newer model and have two different style battery types. The old style is proven and I feel comfortable with it but lets face it, sometimes you have to roll with the times.

I'm not sure which way to turn, wish their timing was better.  :-\

About the brushes. For what I know you can change the brushes on the competitors more heavy duty drills. The small 12vmax tools is not a heavy duty tool like the DCD970 and the brushes do not take so much punishment due to lighter work and a much smaller and weaker motor. Of course you can worn out or destroy the brushes on the for example DCF610 but I´m having a hard time to see that like something regular problem. I think that is much more important on a heavyduty tool and proberly the engineers at Dewalt also think so.

Is there even a brushholder like on the bigger 18 v tools? Is it not just some kind of pressed connections and therefore there is not even s sparepart to change. ( exept the brushes of course whick you can not change ) And as you said yourself, the motor is only 15 dollars.

About brushholders: Today I repaired a couple of makita tools. A circular saw and a cut off tool. On booth machine the brushholder made of some kind of hard plastic had melted down completely. It seems that makita use some kind of cheap plastic that can not take so much heat. Even the cap had melted so both cap, brushholder and brush was like one piece together. This seems to be a common problem on makita tools. Seen it myself and read about it.

The DCD760KL and DCF826KL are considered to be compact and for light duty use also but their brushes can be changed not like the new 12V max tools, which I believe will be the same design for new the 18V that are coming soon that will be the successor to the regular line of 18V currently available.

do you really buy a drill just because you can change the brushes easy?  which most never have to?

in all my years, i've never had to replace a set of brushes.  i'd imagine that if you wore out the brushes in a drill, it'd be pretty worn out overall and due for a replacement.

You can change the brushes on any Dewalt 18v Drill, Driver, or Impact. The Frameless motors require you to take the drill apart to do so. The likely hood that you would actually have to change brushes on a framless motor are pretty slim. The reason the 1st generation 12v max drills don't allow a brush change is because it's almost as much for the brushes as it is for the entire motor. It's faster and cheaper for a Service Center to change a motor out, then it is to replace the brushes on that tiny motor.

Archived