DeWALT IMPACT READY vs. Milwaukee Shockwave vs. Makita Impact ready

tmccarty

At a first glance the Milwaukee bits look more worked and "enginered". Without knowing anything about them I would have picked the Milwaukee over the dewalt bit. They look more expensive in the design and in my eyes they look better. Will be interesting to see the winner.

Milwaukee put a lot into the looks, while putting much less into the function.  They use a low grade metal on the head (similar to low end black & Decker and ryobi bits), have very poor geometry on the head, making the fitment in the screw head very poor (causing stripped screw and driver heads much quicker), and the simple truth is that their "shock zone" simply does not work.  I do a test where we take two impact drivers and put a powerbit into each collet.  When you run the two drivers (they go in apposing directions), you can put an extreme test on the bits.  The DeWalt can go on and on getting reefed on by the impact drivers, while the shockwave snaps almost instantly.

The reality is that all screw tips are disposable accessories, and they are all going to fail eventually.  However, the DeWalt impact rated accessories last around 10 times standard bits, and probably(completely guessing on my part, and not a scientific result of testing) 5 times the life of shockwave bits.  I haven't tried Makita's bits, so I cannot speak to them, but I can say that market wide they are not a widely used.

Milwaukee put a lot into the looks, while putting much less into the function.  They use a low grade metal on the head (similar to low end black & Decker and ryobi bits), have very poor geometry on the head, making the fitment in the screw head very poor (causing stripped screw and driver heads much quicker), and the simple truth is that their "shock zone" simply does not work.  I do a test where we take two impact drivers and put a powerbit into each collet.  When you run the two drivers (they go in apposing directions), you can put an extreme test on the bits.  The DeWalt can go on and on getting reefed on by the impact drivers, while the shockwave snaps almost instantly.

The reality is that all screw tips are disposable accessories, and they are all going to fail eventually.  However, the DeWalt impact rated accessories last around 10 times standard bits, and probably(completely guessing on my part, and not a scientific result of testing) 5 times the life of shockwave bits.  I haven't tried Makita's bits, so I cannot speak to them, but I can say that market wide they are not a widely used.

Funny, Me and my crew have slightly opposite results regarding dewalt and milwaukee impact bits,with the shockwave lasting 2x longer...go figure.

I have had results that differ from the tests as well. I happened to purchase a set over a year ago, have been usin the bits everyday and still have 75% of the 29 pc set I purchased. Not sure what tests you performed  Edge, but they are legit in my opinion, having snapped the impact ready bits before I tried these. I think all bits definately have a shelf life, or number of screws they will turn before stripping out, but the milwaukee's have performed true to their name for me and my co-workers. Bottom line- Shockwave really does work!!

I tell you what, I will post a video on the test when it's complete. I will try to be as edit free as possible, but let's face it.... nobody want's to watch 2hrs of anyone driving screws! I will shot up close and personal in 1080HD no room for BS. I'll let the chips fall where they may.

Still waiting on that darn Makita set.....

D.O.G, If you're waiting in on the Makita 62pc Impact set, you will be disappointed once you try them out in the field, these bit's simply do not measure up to Makita standards, Dewalt & Milwaukee's Impact bits hold up noticeably better. Makita's Lightweight,Wobble, and stripout/break in no time.

I was recently in a home depot and asked the associate specifically for the DeWALT impact ready bits, he informed me the Milwaukee Shockwave bits replaced them. Any indication of quality? Why would Depot make a move to a lower quality performer? This move seems opposite of all logical thought if DeWALT impact ready bits are truly superior...either way bits are consumables...

• 2 weeks later...

We use the DeWalt 2" T-25 torx bits (non impact ready) in drills & impacts and it is very very rare to have breakage.  Usually after several jobs the 6 tip points start to grind down, leaving that end a little rounded off looking.  If we drive the screw at a bad angle or the bit slips off while driving the screw, the screw head always gets reamed out and no damage to the bit.  The little free bit that comes with the DeckMate screw box does ok for a while.  Never tried the other brands.

Archived