DEWALT's Tough System 4-1

Mr. Yellow

Most of us are familiar with the Festool/TTS systainer concept. Forget about it.

DEWALT has the answer and they call it the Tough System 4-1.

Another fine result of the merger with Stanley. First the handtools, now the storage.

It seems (initially) there will be 3 models and a trolly.

I think this will be EU first, but US will surely follow.

Some interesting bits to know

- You can secure the systainers on the trolly with a padlock

- The systainers have a waterproof seal around the lid, keeping water and dust away from tools/accessories

This is great. Let's hope that in a near future they are gonna sell their tools in systainers as well, or provide inserts to change from toughbox to systainer.

The small systainer

content

The medium systainer

content

The large systainer

content

The trolley

content

content

content

content

content

content

True, most brands are jumping on the systainer train. I only have one tool from Protool that comes in a systainer. It's not bad. They have been around for years. I noticed there's a new model systainer with a different locking system, but overall it's not a huge improvement.

This DeWALT system however screams "heavy duty". Jobsite tough, exactly what we need :)

I've never seen those, except for this very image that goes around the net.

One could easily make these as you can buy those systainers in black and the locks in several different colors incl. yellow. Add a sticker or two and you have exactly that. If anyone has more info about this...

What happened to the picture with the new 18V (20VMAX) XRP Drill and Impact Driver? Looks like this topic got edited also.

That picture was indeed removed (together with the other images in the other topic)

It wasn't posted here and it won't return before DeWALT announced the new line.

Sorry. Burned my fingers once already... ;)

Also have a picture with a cordless light, reciprocating saw and circ. saw. Great stuff. Just be patient...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So these will also be available together with the XR launch in Europe on June 1st.

The small systainer is the DS150 (150mm height) and a capacity of 15 litres.

The medium systainer is the DS300 (300mm height) and has a capacity of 35 litres.

The large systainer is the DS400 (400mm height) and has a capacity of 55 litres.

They all have a water/dust seal around the lid and a pressure valve on top.

The cart is the DS Carrier.

Check out this video

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This really looks terrific.  I will definitely consider buying as I really would like to eliminate one if not both of the home built racks I have inside of my van.  It seems like it's going to be a lot better and a bit less awkward than the similar Stanley thing I was playing with at Menards yesterday.  The Stanley system had some deal where it slid backward and the three boxes opened in step-type configuration, kind of tackle box style.  I found it was kind of difficult to get it slide back and the whole system didn't feel super rigid.  I was disappointed as it's the closest thing to what I've been looking for so far.  Perhaps this DeWalt system will be the perfect match.

Are the inside of the larger containers wide open?  I was thinking of using a bunch of the mid size ones to put tools in, but I'd like to have a way to keep them secure and not flopping around inside.  I read on another message board that you could use something like a 2" rigid foam and cut it to fit, then spray a bed-liner type material over it.  Problem is that in my experience anytime I sprayed something onto foam like that it ate the foam.

• 2 months later...

When is the total system going to be available? I ordered a small, Large, extra large and cart from Amazon, the only supplier who seemed to have the whole system about two weeks a go.  I recd the small and large box and then got an email that said they were unable to deliver the extra large and the cart?

Thanks for any information

Hey geoff,

What can you tell us about the cases that you did receive?  Do they seem heavy duty?  What are the dimensions?  Did they come with any inserts, bins, dividers, etc?  I'm really interested in the system, but I am concerned about the availability as well.

Thanks,

Marcus

I saw these the other day when the Dewalt Semi rolled into town. They are extremely well built, I did not have my camera on me to take any pictures. It's note worthy to mention the vapor lock cap on top of each box. They are so weather resistant that they have a pressure release valve built into the top to release any build up of vacuum pressure on the inside of the box. Imagine them sitting in the hot sun all day.

The small case comes with 2 drop down container's built inside to store bit's and accessories, as well as a assortment of square containers to go inside the lower half. You can move them around, take a few out and put in a tool, remove them completely.

The Medium container is just a large storage box with a removable insert found in your basic tool boxes. Like the insert seen below.

Picture-5-150x150.png

The large container also included the insert, and storage slot's built into the back half of the box to store hand tools.

The Dewalt UK website has a very interactive micro page that show-cases the Tough-System. Check it out Here.

Hey Guys, Thought I would put up a quick note.  I received the three Tough Case Systems that I ordered today!  I have not, and likely will not get a lot of time to play with them, as I will be getting them out in the field for users to try out, and will not be keeping them myself.  However, i did get some time to mess with them a little bit, and I like them a lot!  The cases are made of a dense fiberglass (similar to high end Pelican cases).  The boxes slide onto the support arms on the hand truck very easily, and the side handles lock them into place.  There is also a full lenght locking bar on the back of the hand truck, which locks to the back of each box installed on the hand truck, and there is a spot on the top to accept a lock (keeping the boxes locked to the hand truck).  There are a lot of storage compartment/boxes inside of the small box, as well as a "hidden" compartment in the lid of the small box, which opens downwards when the lid is open.

I know this is a poor review, but at the end of the day there is only one thing to say about these; they are really well built, weather resistant, heavy duty tool storage solutions.  They do not have a bunch of built in gimicks, they just do what they are intended to do, very well.  They are strong and light weight tool boxes with a very innovative mobility solution.  I definitely recommend getting one!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Today the end user rep told me that DeWALT now also offer spare parts for the ToughSystem cases.

I've looked it up at the service website and it looks like you can get all the parts except for the box and lid. Which seems pretty normal because if either one of them gets damaged it's best to replace the whole ToughSystem.

I'm missing one thing.... the DeWALT sticker that is on top of the lid ;D

(image is from the DS150)

E16495.tif.gif

Also, DeWALT is gonna start selling foam inlays for these boxes. I don't know the modelnumber and price yet, but it's that pick&pluck foam, so I have been told. So you can make a custom inlay for all your needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you get the arms that the boxes slide into.  I just ordered a few more XL cases and wanted to build a rack that is portable when I need it to be, yet it will also allow it to be a nice shop tool box setup, also.  These boxes are so universal that it would be so easy to make a rack for the shop and a separate mobile rack for the mobile type job site.