My tools / ToughSystem Racking

Mr. Yellow

Thanks Brien. I have a dedicated tracksaw (plungesaw) but figured if I gonna use the Prazi attachment I will benefit from a guiderail. So I choose the DWE576. It attaches to just about any 7-1/4" circular saw. I came across this beam cutter a few years ago, but forgot about it until I searched for alternatives for beams saws just recently.

@ChrisK1970. I still have to try it, but first I need to make a modification to that I can align it properly.

I have also read mixed reviews. It's not really a precision tool ofcourse. It's still a chainsaw, but I've seen some video's on YouTube that got me interested. However, a lot of reviews seem from the previous model (PR-2000) and Prazi claims on their website this new model has improved accuracy. One thing I wish they kept from the previous model is the lever for fine adjustment of the chain tension.

@RedSionnach. Now that I've worked with the Protool beam saw for the first time, I like it. Mafell has some great beam saws, but the prices over here start at €5000,- and upwards. They do have a model with dual 3000W motors. Not the kind of saw you want to experience kickback with ;)

I will say Festool is coming out with a saw that is the same idea and is similar to Maffell's set up maybe a LITTLE cheaper :). Clicks right on to your Festool rail and bzzzzzzzzz looks pretty sweet too. But your dead on about the price....yowza

Thanks Regopit! :)

I think you mean the SSU200 from Festool? They are already selling those in Europe. (Previous Protool tool)

They have 2 models. The SSU200 with a maximum cutting depth of 200mm. The IS330 has 330mm, but you cannot use it for wood. Only for insulation.

Protool did have a bigger model, much like the Mafell. I wonder if Festool will relaunch those?!

I have seen some videos from the SSU200. It's great saw and really the only 'affordable' swordsaw as they call it over here.

There's a big gap between that and Mafell. Some manufacturer should jump in...

The story continues...

I made a bracket to align the saw 90° to the base. Also had to adjust the bevel at 0°. Not much, but it needed a little twist of the bottom screw. Glad that DeWALT saw can be adjusted like that.

I choose to have as much depth as possible while maintaining at least a 45° bevel option. When mounting it lower, it decreases the bevel angle. On the highest position you loose a little on the depth of cut, like 20mm or so, but you can make use of the full 57° bevel angle of the saw. Only just, but you can.

I might go that route later.

So when all was done and everything tightened I just let it spin. At first it did not spin as smooth as I thought. The manual says there is no need for oil as it runs much slower than a chainsaw. Just some silicone spray or WD40 every 10-15 cuts to keep things sharp and running. 

Found it a bit odd. So I put some chainsaw oil on it and tadaa, it runs noticable smoother.

So I wanted an oiler on there and found one of those aftermarket chain oil systems for motorcycles. So I got that and mounted it yesterday.

Works great, but the tip that shoots the oil on the chain and sprocket needs some fine adjustment.

It's a manual system. By pulling the plug on top of the reservoir it shoots out some oil. You can control the amount by pulling the plug a little bit or all the way out (which is too much, since it is designed for motorcycle chains). I found later that the company is selling a smaller model for mopeds/bicycles which perhaps would have fitted better. But this works and I'm not gonna change it as the oiler is more expensive than the Prazi is :P

007.JPG

009.JPG

So next I replaced one of the zero clearance anti splinter strip on the short track. Little problem maybe is that the chain on the circular saw is further to the outside than a regular blade so I had to put the anti splinter strip 5mm further across the edge of the track.

Then I did some cutting on an oak beam. Mind you, I didn't use clamps with the track (too lazy to take them out), but I'll do some more testing with the clamps soon. 

It's not bad at all, but I think it can be a bit better. Especially the end grain. I need to adjust the tension also. I ran into a problem with the chain that came with it (bought 2 spares as well). When I rotate it by hand the tension varies from tight (how it should be) to loose. I didn't notice this problem with the spare chain. FYI, the beam cutter chains are from Oregon. So spares shouldn't be a problem. I hope a different chain might give a nicer cut though. The regular chain is for both cross cutting and ripping. I just don't know if there are chains specifically for cross-cutting?! Bit of chainsaw noob here ;)

Eiken%20gezaagd%20met%20Beam%20Cutter%20

Start of cut

Top of cut (with guiderail / without clamps)

Back of cut (exit saw) 

End grain

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'll see what I can do...

I recently finished some shelves so that saw now fits in the van without taking the Beam Cutter of.

Today I finally rearranged the wiring for the lightning and put it all in a nice aluminum housing with din rail terminals. Did away with the crappy luster terminals. Better connections and very easy to expand or make changes.

Also added the DeWALT 12V car charger with a little modification. I'll be adding a 2nd one, but I need to put a wire in from the dashboard to the back so the chargers are only powered when the ignition is on. Right now it's just on/off with a build in switch, but surely I'll forget it sometime when I park the van so the next morning I'll have a full DeWALT battery and an empty car battery :D

IMG_1508.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This seems to be the place to talk about Tough boxes Home Depot and Dewalt have a decent deal going on with a Drill and Impact driver kit in a toughbox for 199. that's not bad considering a compact tough box is $50. Your really buying the drill and impact for 150. They also have other tools offered in this fashion tool like the new compact cordless recip saw. http://www.homedepot.com/s/dewalt%2520tough?NCNI-5&AID=11210757&PID=6147012&SID=16gsiumcxyril&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6147012-_-11210757&cj=true

I didn't notice till now the drill is the DCD 771 the budget $99 dollar drill they sell on the holidays. The impact driver is their standard bushed unit which makes it not as bad. You could always sell the 771 and get a bare DCD 780. I wonder if it comes with 1.5 or 1.3 amp hour batteries the budget kit comes with 1.3 and a slower compact charger. The other weird thing is they have 7 of these at the HD that is closest to me. Only one other HD in the area has them. My store is kinda weird they get new products in really quick.

Yea I noticed that 2 man I miss my dcd780 DR I sold it to my bro for like 60 bucks with batt and charger though I have my brushless versions there just something about the 780 being so compact and pretty powerful. I wanna buy it again to keep in my truck just incase I ever get my truck broken into it won't hurt as much if it were to be my dcd995