V12 max impact wrench vs impact driver?

Makan44

Hello,

I'm kinda of newb so please forgive me for dumb questions but...

I bought the 9 tool combo 18v nicad set about a year or so back and love it, but i decided to pick up the 12v max drill / impact driver set because i wanted to add some precision to my linup and teuth be told im addicted to tools lately :)

I was so impressed with the 12v max combo I was thinking about picking up the impact wrench too.

Is there any diffence between the impact driver and the impact wrench besides the chock? 

I got the the 1/4 in shanks in all drive sizes, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 (not that ill use the 1/2 drive with it anyway but).

So im trying to figure out if there is any real reason to pick up the impact wrench now.

If they are the same basic tool only advantage i can see of using the impact wrech would be shortining the size tool length by the size of the shank to drive adapter.  Am i missing anything here?

It also just seems like there is allot of overlap in the linup?

Like for instance i dont quite understand the purpose of the screwdriver.  I know it has torque settings but so does the drill.

Is there a specif use that would make the screwdriver a better choice then the drill or impact driver?

Im just kind of curious about the differences?  Assuming if someone gets the drill / impact driver combo there not going to be buying the screwdriver.

Someone drop some knowledge on me please!

Thanks much!

Well, personally I prefer the 10,8 v screwdriver (dcf610) to the 10,8 v drill. The screwdriver is shorter and has enough power for all kind of lighter work. Do not need the 2 gears that the drill have. Often I do need more power but in this cases the small 10,8 v drill will not be enough so then I pick up my 18 v dcd drill. For me that is the perfect combo, maybe not for the guy right next to me. And also, the 18 v dcd9** is superior when it comes to drilling compared to the small 10,8 v drill.

I think the DCD610 screwdriver was meant many for fastening and screwing applications. Light duty work, medium drilling as required...solely for 1/4 inch hex bits. Indoor work. VERY Easy hex-bit install remove.

The DCD710 moves up with two speeds and supports the older traditional round drill bits and hex. Competes with the Bosch PS31 type drill. A little more power and speed. Drills very quickly and smoothly.

The DCD815 moves into deck bolts, screws a lot tougher applications and power...when you need it.

For most handymen, DIYers, Home owners, lighter trades work...the handling of the 12V Max line is more than adequate.....unless you have some serious power requirements that 18 volt will address.

The DeWalt 12Volt MAX Tools continue to receive positive reviews.

This month's Fine Home Building magazine issue May, 2011 has a review of the latest 12 V Lithium Drills..

The DeWalt DCF710 Drill finished on top with Editor's Choice.

I appreciate the info!

Bingobelle, your combo / strategy makes sense to me.

Im still interested to better understand the difference betwenn the 12v impact drver and impact wrench.

Specs and looks are very siliar.

Im trying to decide if i would gain any value by adding the impact wrench to my collection or if that would eccestially just be the same as using the impact driver with a hex to square drive adapter.

I work on my motorcycles allot and looking to speed up disassembly and to spin in bolts before torquing them to proper spec.  I'm thinking the 12v series is perfect for this, easy to wield and comfy to hold, I have the 18v tools if i need real power.

I appreciate the info!

Im still interested to better understand the difference betwenn the 12v impact drver and impact wrench.

Im trying to decide if i would gain any value by adding the impact wrench to my collection or if that would eccestially just be the same as using the impact driver with a hex to square drive adapter.

I work on my motorcycles allot and looking to speed up disassembly and to spin in bolts before torquing them to proper spec.  I'm thinking the 12v series is perfect for this, easy to wield and comfy to hold, I have the 18v tools if i need real power.

It is my understanding that the impact wrench and driver use the same motor, but the gearing is different (the gearing part I am sure of).  The purpose of that being that the driver is geared faster for higher speed while screw driving, but the speed comes as the cost of low speed torque.  The impact wrench (being built for the larger bolts, automotive industry, etc) was geared a little lower so that it can work for "harder" applications.  So while they are definately similar, they are still significantly different, and intended for different uses.

I appreciate the info!

It is my understanding that the impact wrench and driver use the same motor, but the gearing is different (the gearing part I am sure of).  The purpose of that being that the driver is geared faster for higher speed while screw driving, but the speed comes as the cost of low speed torque.  The impact wrench (being built for the larger bolts, automotive industry, etc) was geared a little lower so that it can work for "harder" applications.  So while they are definately similar, they are still significantly different, and intended for different uses.

Ahh makes perfect sense, thanks much!

Archived