DEWALT® Launches a New 12� Sliding Compound Miter Saw DWS780

kanxrus

DEWALT® Launches a New 12†Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Features for Improved Accuracy, Durability and Portability*

TOWSON, Md. (June 1, 2011) – Today, DEWALT announces the launch of its new 12†Sliding Compound Miter Saw (DWS780), which has been designed to be precise and accurate enough for fine woodworking, yet durable enough for framing and deck building. The DWS780 is ideal for a variety of end users including cabinetmakers, trim carpenters, framers, installers and many other professional contractors who require a product that delivers the accuracy, capacity, durability, portability and ease-of-use that this saw offers.

“Our end users frequently tell us that they turn to DEWALT miter saws because they can rely on them to get the job done over a long service life and with consistently accurate results,†explained Rafe Bennett, product manager, DEWALT. “We’re proud to hold this leadership position within the miter saw category, and we’re confident that our new saw will not let contractors down.â€

For visibility and accuracy when cutting, the new 12†Sliding Compound Miter Saw features the XPSTM LED light and cut alignment system that casts a laser-like shadow on the work surface, showing users where the blade will come in contact with the material. Since it does not require recalibration over time or when changing blades, this alignment system can be more accurate and durable than traditional laser guides.

The saw’s dual bevel system includes the ability to bevel right and left from 0 to 49 degrees with positive stops at 0, 22.5, 33.9, 45 and 49 degrees in both directions, as well as a high visibility bevel scale. The saw also miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left and features an adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 10 positive stops, allowing for fast and easy adjustments. A cam lock miter button allows users to lock angles between detents for versatility on the jobsite.

The saw features a powerful 15 AMP motor that delivers 3,800 RPM. For convenience, the power cord is routed through the rail in the back, eliminating interference with the slide. Additionally, the saw offers an industry-leading combination of cut capacities, which includes 6-3/4 inch vertical capacity, 7-1/2 inch nested crown capacity, 13-7/8 inch horizontal capacity and exclusive back fence design that cuts up to a 2×16 at a 90 degree angle and 2×12 at a 45 degree angle. To simplify and maximize vertical cutting capacity, the unit includes a rail lock latch for holding the head away from the fence.

The new saw’s dust collection system collects over 75 percent of dust generated in the included bag. Additionally, to address two common user frustrations—portability and weight—the DWS780 has optimized its weight to just 56 pounds. It also incorporates ergonomic handgrips and folds to a compact package that makes transporting the unit easy. The saw’s precision-machined aluminum construction ensures there is no sacrifice in accuracy or durability.

The Sliding Compound Miter Saw will be available at home centers and independent distributors beginning in September 2011 and it is expected to retail for approximately $599. The product will come with a three-year limited warranty, one-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee.

There are a number of new accessories that are compatible with the product, including a variety of miter saw stands such as the Heavy Duty Miter Saw Stand (DWX723), the Compact Miter Saw Stand (DWX724), the Heavy Duty Work Stand (DWX725) and the Heavy Duty Work Stand with Miter Saw Mounting Brackets (DWX725B). For more information about the warranty or available accessories visit: http://dewalt.com/Home.aspx.

About DEWALT;

DEWALT is a leading manufacturer of industrial power tools and accessories, including corded and cordless drills, saws, hammers, grinders, routers, planers, plate joiners, sanders, lasers, generators, compressors, nailers, saw blades, metal and masonry drill bits, abrasives, screwdriving accessories and more. DEWALT tools can be found nationally and internationally, wherever tools are sold. With more than 1,000 factory-owned and authorized locations, DEWALT has one of the most extensive service and repair networks in North America. For more information visit www.dewalt.com or follow DEWALT on Facebook and Twitter.

Summary;

DEWALT announces the launch of its new 12†Sliding Compound Miter Saw (DWS780), which has been designed to be precise and accurate enough for fine woodworking, yet durable enough for framing and deck building. The DWS780 is ideal for a variety of end users, including cabinetmakers, trim carpenters, framers, installers and many other professional contractors who require a product that delivers the accuracy, capacity, durability, portability and ease-of-use that this saw offers.

DWS780_1.jpg

DWS780_3L.jpg

DWS780_A5L.jpg

DWS780_6L.jpg

DWS780vsDW718.jpg

It looks like a nice improvement over the DW718.

However, it would have been nice if it had front controls for bevel adjustment.

Also it looks like they went back to the older locking system for bevel adjustment (DW708) instead of the detent system from the DW717/718.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just going on what I see in the pictures...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Toolgeek. That does help. I'm not a fan of that big locking star type of nut (what's it called?!) for the bevel adjustment.

My old DW708 has that also. The DW718 seems easier to adjust.

Today I asked DeWALT here when this saw would be available. They said it's available already but they don't have stock yet. Should be soon though.

I've been looking at the DW718XPS for a while until someone here talked about a new 12" mitersaw. That was a few months ago. So I held back for a while.

Now I know the price of the new unit I am in doubt. It sells for the same amount as the DW718XPS does, €1049,-. However, DeWALT is currently offering the DW718XPS with a miterstand (the big one) for only 50 euro more at €1099,-.

I'm not sure yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, today I received my new miter saw and in the end I decided to go with the DWS780.

I never used the DW718. Only "played" with it at the store. Still think the detent system was a bit easier because the locking mechanism is on top instead of the back as it is on the 780. But I'm happy with my choice because the 780's scale is much easier to read and to adjust and the locking is all metal now + the DW718 is now discontinued so I rather go with the new.

It's a beauty. Almost too goodlooking to use ;)

Coming from an DW708 it's a big step forward.

It was almost perfect right out of the box. A very minor adjustment on the bevel setting at 0° and the miter lock (in between locked positions) needed some tightening. No big deal.

I really like the shadow line.  That would be the biggest feature for me.  I have the 718 with the laser and I always have to calibrate it.  It's a PITA.

You can get that light instead of your laser on the DW718.  Get the XPS light, it bolts on the exact same as the laser, but creates the shadow without calibration.

A few questions. The US model has a little knob for the detent override to adjust the miter setting. My saw doesn't have this. Is this an US only feature?

Also, all DeWALT mitersaws here have this safety feature below the on/off switch. This is to avoid pushing a running saw down by mistake. It's a lever which you automatically push when placing your hand on the handlebar and the switch. I never see this on the US models...

As far as the "knob" by the detent override, I don't know for sure what you are talking about.  On the US model, there is a little "lever" thing that you can engage to override the detent stops, but I don't know if that is on the EU model or not.

As far as the safety switch, the US model has a whole in the trigger that accepts a lockout key, satisfying US regulations.  If you have a button or switch that is separate from your operating switch, than that means that it was needed for regulatory purposes.  Hope that helps!

Thanks.

Yes, I mean the little lever to engage the override. The EU model doesn't have this.

Just what I thought. The safety lever must be for regulation purposes. Was thinking of unscrewing it because it's easier to operate without. But in the event of an accident this might become problematic so I'll best leave it as is.

• 1 month later...

Archived