DEWALT Launches New 20v MAX* Lithium Ion Compact Drill/Driver & Hammer Drill

kanxrus

DEWALT® Launches New 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion Compact Drill/Driver and Compact Hammer Drill to Deliver Ergonomics and Fast Performance In A Variety of Drilling and Fastening Applications.

TOWSON, Md. (June 2, 2011) – DEWALT announces the launch of its new 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion compact drill/driver (DCD780C2) and compact hammer drill (DCD785C2). Ideal for professionals including remodelers, carpenters, cabinetmakers and installers, woodworkers, electricians and plumbers, these two new products offer the performance, ergonomics and innovative features professionals expect from DEWALT power tools and accessories.

“Our extensive research on jobsites clearly showed a demand for a cordless drill solution in a light, compact package that delivers on performance,†said Joerg Zellerhoff, senior product manager, DEWALT. “By focusing on light to medium drilling applications while maximizing the speed of the drill, we are able to meet the needs of professionals to ensure they have the right tool for their applications.â€

To deliver comfortable and ergonomic drill/drivers, the new DEWALT DCD780C2 and DCD785C2 units use a 1.5 Amp Hour (Ah) slide-on Lithium Ion battery pack, which allowed engineers to develop a slim handle design.

In addition to the contoured grip on the handle, the new 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion drill/drivers are well balanced and compact enough to fit into tight areas.

The new compact drill/driver is 7-½ inches long, which is ½-inch shorter than current drill/drivers on the market. The new compact drill/driver and hammer drill are also lightweight, weighing 3.4 pounds and 3.5 pounds, respectively. This translates to comfort for contractors who use these drill/drivers and hammer drills throughout the day.

DEWALT also designed the new cordless compact drill/driver and hammer drill to alleviate the frustrations contractors often experience when using other drill/drivers. These specific frustrations include issues with performance and speed.  For fast speed of application, the DCD780C2 and DCD785C2 deliver 2,000 RPM, which is up to 30 percent faster than current drill/drivers and hammer drills on the market. Also, for optimized drilling and fastening, the compact drill/driver and hammer drill feature a high-speed transmission, which includes two different speed settings that deliver 0-600/0-2,000 RPM. To provide professionals with a reliable solution, DEWALT designed the compact drill/driver to include a ½-inch ratcheting chuck that helps to reduce bit slippage during high torque applications. The compact drills also each include a belt hook and on-board bit storage on the battery of the tool to save time otherwise spent locating and holding bits.

Both the DCD780C2 and DCD785C2 offer a bright LED light positioned above the trigger, with a 20-second delay for extended use in dimly lit spaces. A 1.5 Ah Lithium Ion battery powers the compact drills, which is smaller in size to allow for a more compact solution. However, the drills will also work with the 3.0 Ah Lithium Ion batteries that are available as replacement packs or come with the Premium drills or saws.

Additionally, DEWALT-designed electronic features are built into the switches of all 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion tools and lights. These electronics provide maximum life for the tools and batteries by helping to protect them from overheating, overloading and deep discharge during use. The charger for each of the items in the system has dual voltage capabilities, and it is compatible with 12 Volt MAX* and 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion DEWALT batteries.

The new 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion compact drill/driver and hammer drill will be available in September 2011 anywhere DEWALT products are sold. The compact drill/driver, sold with two 1.5 Ah Lithium Ion batteries and a charger, is expected to retail for approximately $219.00, and the compact hammer drill, is expected to retail for $239.00. They also will be offered in a variety of combo kit options. Click here to view the complete 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion combo kit listing.

The drills will come standard with a three-year limited warranty, one-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee.  The 1.5 Ah Lithium Ion battery, which is sold with the tools, will come with a two-year free service contract and the 3.0 Lithium Ion Ah battery, which can be bought separately, will come with a three-year free service contract.  For more information on available accessories, please visit www.dewalt.com.

About DEWALT;

DEWALT is a leading manufacturer of industrial power tools and accessories, including corded and cordless drills, saws, hammers, grinders, routers, planers, plate joiners, sanders, lasers, generators, compressors, nailers, saw blades, metal and masonry drill bits, abrasives, screw driving accessories and more. DEWALT tools can be found nationally and internationally, wherever tools are sold. With more than 1,000 factory-owned and authorized locations, DEWALT has one of the most extensive service and repair networks in North America. For more information, visit www.dewalt.com or follow DEWALT on Facebook and Twitter.

Summary;

DEWALT’s new 20 Volt MAX* Lithium Ion compact drill/driver (DCD780C2) and compact hammer drill (DCD785C2) are ideal for professionals including remodelers, carpenters, cabinetmakers and installers, woodworkers, electricians and plumbers.  These two new products offer the performance, ergonomics and innovative features they expect from DEWALT power tools and accessories. To deliver comfortable and ergonomic drill/drivers, the new DEWALT DCD780C2 and DCD785C2 units incorporate a 1.5 Ah slide-on Lithium Ion battery pack, which allowed engineers to develop a slim handle design. The new offerings also alleviate professionals’ frustrations with performance, speed and productivity current drill/drivers on the market offer. For faster speed of application, the DCD780C2 and DCD785C2 deliver 2,000 RPMs, and for optimized drilling and fastening, the compact drill/driver and hammer drill feature a high-speed transmission, which includes two different speed settings that deliver 0-600/0-2,000 RPMs.

* With respect to the 12V MAX*: Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 12 volts.  Nominal voltage is 10.8.  With respect to the 20V MAX*: Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts.  Nominal voltage is 18.

DCD780C2_1.jpg

DCD780C2_F2.jpg

DCD780C2_K1.jpg

DCD785C2_1.jpg

DCD785C2_K1.jpg

My friend bought this drill a couple of days ago and I must say that I like the drill very much. It is very compact, lightweight and rest very nice in the hand. It has a very nice feel. One very nice thing is that on second gear the rpm is 2000 and that is real nice when using spadebits and small to medium screws.

I´m not sure if the 600 rpm in first gear is as good as 2000 rps in second gear. A little bit lower rpm for example 400 or 500 would make the drill stronger for driving lags or holesaws. However, the drill seems to have a lot power so maybee I´m just talking nonsense about that.

The magnetic bitholder is the best bitholder I´ve ever used. Must say that the drill feels very well build and have good balance. Probely the best compact drill out there. Fel in love at first use.

Howver, I would not trade it for my DCD960 and my little DCF610. The xrp drill is still stronger for heavy duty task and the DCF610 is still ( in most case ) still better for very light kind of work. But I´m a one person company and I can afford and like to buy nice tools so thats why I have one big and one small drill. But if I was only going to have one drill the DCD780 would be the drill I choose for sure.

But if you have a lot of employes it will be expensive to give them all 2 drills each and maybee that is the biggest point with this kind of compact drill. It is very good at light duty to medium task and also at most heavy duty task and your employe will be happy with the tool. Give them a big xrp drill to use the whole day long and they will soner or later complain about the weight, give them a 12v max and they will complain about to little power in some case. Give them this DCD780 and they will be happy all time long! But maybee there should always be one xrp in the truck, just in case!

Edit: On the picture it is a "normal" bitholder but on the drill sold here in Sweden it is a magnetic bitholder with space for 2 bits. Also, here you can choose between 3 or 1,5 A battery pack. My freind bought the drill with 3 A battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  Might make the battery adapter concept that Bosch has a real possiblity.  Also the new Bosch DDS-181 has the LED located on the top side of the battery slide and aims up toward the chuck and bit eliminating some of the shadows that you get with the LED just above the trigger.

Archived