DeWalt changed cells in 36v batteries

Aprelia

So have you actually used these to build something?  How do you know they are so much worse?

I am not going to try and answer for him....but.... I have the whole 36v line and many of each different battery type and they are still twice the tool that the 18v or 20v max line is.

I havent yet done any remodels yet to really push the new batteries but something will come up.

Charging cycles will surely be affected and it is a shame that a123 had so many faulty batteries and bms circuits. There was a confidentiality agreement between Dewalt and A123 and one of the Dewalt techs leaked the info that it was the faulty batteries and mass amounts of bms failures produced by a123 or sub contracted through a123 that caused all the grief for Dewalt and made them look elsewhere for the batteries........ :-\

A123 produced some amazing cells but when you have that many in a pack, coupled with a bms design that could be improved upon, it was a recipe for failure. The have ironed out the bms and now have found a cell that has a lower failure rate. But at the cost of less charges and lower mah. :'(

Seems to me like 20 cells of just about any type will make a pretty powerful tool.  I don't own the 36v line but every year when I get a job that requires more power than I wish I needed (I prefer lighter work), I contemplate jumping into 36-volt again.  I've never been concerned with cycle life, I know plumbers who use 10 full cycles a week, but I average about 100 per year so I'm more concerned with calendar life.

• 3 months later...

I figured I better follow up on this.... The new batteries absolutely suck. I have enough of them that it doesnt matter I just pop another one in place. I find that I am charging them twice as much as my old batteries that have nearly 5 years of use. I will just warranty them out every year, as I dont think that they will make it. What a shame leaving behind the a123 cells. I am sure it just wasnt cost effective to have batteries that last forever. If I had only bought a dozen of them back in the day.

• 1 month later...

I figured I better follow up on this.... The new batteries absolutely suck. I have enough of them that it doesnt matter I just pop another one in place. I find that I am charging them twice as much as my old batteries that have nearly 5 years of use. I will just warranty them out every year, as I dont think that they will make it. What a shame leaving behind the a123 cells. I am sure it just wasnt cost effective to have batteries that last forever. If I had only bought a dozen of them back in the day.

A123Systems after 2 years of life

2.3 Ah capacity tests OK

internal cell resistance of 15 mohm to 33 mohm!

compromised power drill!

NICD forever!

regards

• 1 year later...

Its official my batteries didnt make it 50 charges(probably less than 20) and the new cells are giving me the 3 blinking lights after 16 months. I dont know what to do now. I have the full 36v volt line and this is a serious problem to me as I depended on them. I built one house with them and have 7 batteries so I alternated charging and usage. I checked Amazon review and it looks like they are all dying..... :'(

I hate to have to turn to another company. I took pride in having all black and yellow. :-\

Might be about time to move to the current tools.  20v max 4.0 packs are almost identical real world capacity, and you'll have more tools and development coming down the pike.

I dont know if you have used the 36v tools but they are unmatched in torque and run time. The circular saw uses the full sized 7 1/4" blade and I need this because I often work in full dimension lumber. It would cost me $3500 or so to ditch the tools that still work like new minus their battery issue, I guess I will have to consider it. Such a shame... :-\

36v is not going away, purely because of what you described.  There are simply certain applications that require the superior runtime and power if the 36v line.  I am sorry that you are having battery issues, but I can say definitively that the cells being used are still more than adequate of the application.  Something else must be going on to cause hours to fail early.  I deal with a number of huge contractor companies every day who have hundreds of 36v tools each, and problems with tools and batteries are practically non-existent. 

Get your battery warranty replaced, and talk to the tech at the service center you go to to see if there is possibly something that you are doing that is causing them to die early.

Good luck!

I can't speak to runtime in the whole line, but I knw the hammer does. Plus, the 36v has considerably more power than 18/20v tools.  Now don't get me wrong, 18/20v is the best power:weight:cost line for the far majority of users out there, but there will always be a small group who need the increased runtime and especially power of the 36v line.

• 2 weeks later...

36v is not going away, purely because of what you described.  There are simply certain applications that require the superior runtime and power if the 36v line.  I am sorry that you are having battery issues, but I can say definitively that the cells being used are still more than adequate of the application.  Something else must be going on to cause hours to fail early.  I deal with a number of huge contractor companies every day who have hundreds of 36v tools each, and problems with tools and batteries are practically non-existent. 

Get your battery warranty replaced, and talk to the tech at the service center you go to to see if there is possibly something that you are doing that is causing them to die early.

Good luck!

Thank you telling me they will be supported for the years to come. There is deffinetly a cell issue, just head over to Amazon reviews and check the 36v battery reviews. The new replacement battery I recieved is much lighter than the rest. It will probably have even less run time. Oh well, maybe they will get so bad Dewalt will start a xrp 36v battery? I would be willing to pay for more run time.