DEWALT SOFT CARRYING BAGS vs DEWALT HARD CASES.

kanxrus

IF YOU ANSWERED YES, HOW MUCH MORE WOULD YOU BE WILLING TO PAY? $5, $10, $15.....?

The euro 18v XR launch has been going on now for just over a month, the new 20v max launch is just around the corner--

It looks like all of the new 20v max USA combo kit's 4pc and up are coming in a soft carrying bag. While the 18v XR euro 4pc and up, are being sold with Dewalt's new "tough system". I'm curious to know if anyone on here would be willing to pay more for a tool or combo kit, if it meant it would include a hard case?

Keep in mind that Europe is already paying a lot more for the same kit. A lot more!

USA 5PC KIT DCK590L2 EXPECTED TO RETAIL FOR $579.00

5KIT (2).JPG

EUROPE 5 PC KIT DCK591L3 RETAILS IN THE UK FOR £699, OR ROUGHLY $1,125.

5KIT1.jpg

I think its highly personal preference. I know a few people who love the soft bags to be able to throw some extra stuff in with their power tool. Me, personally, I would never buy a power tool in a soft case. I prefer the hard cases for a few reasons, not the least of which is its a lot easier to stack hard cases than it is soft bags.

At the very top of my first post, I ask what you guy's think would be a reasonable price increase? $5, $10, $15...?

For me, I would be willing to pay $10-15 more for a combo kit, and $5 more for a regular tool, knowing that my tools will be better protected. If that $5-15 investment allow's me to keep my tools longer because of my abusive nature, then I think it's a good value.

In my bag's my tools bang against each other which makes my tools look like crap after a short period of time. I've been known to leave tools out in the weather while they were in the case, bag's are not very weather resistant.

All that being said, I thought this would be a good opportunity to open up some dialog and see what people prefer, and if they would be willing to pay more for a hard case? If the majority like's soft cases, then it would seem foolish to make everyone else pay more for something they don't want it the first place. If the majority like's hard cases, and view a hard case as a upgrade, then the cost is justified assuming it's a modest increase.

If you guys are expecting to pay $15 to get hardcases you are kidding yourself. They are made out of same material Pelican uses (AFAIK), so you are talking $20 for a small case just for casting and plastics. That means they would be $80-$120 a piece in retail.

In the us combokit you get the xrp premium drill. In the european version it is only the compact drill. So you guys in the us get "more" tool but on the other hand we will have the hard case.

Anyway, personally I think a kit with the big xrp drill and also the small dcf610 12v drill would be very nice. Sometimes the compact drill is just not enough and you really need the xrp premium drill and in many cases the xrp drill is to heavy and clumsy to use. Like I have written before, the xrp drill for drilling(and big screws, holesaws and so on) and the dcf610 for light kind of installation work. 

I'd much rather have a dare I say it "systainer" type of box than a soft bag any day. I do recall a survey from dewalt about the case system so I'm hoping it will be available in the US. I also wish a few more things from the UK/EU would be available over here but I doubt it will ever happen.

Not sure if I'm comparing the same kit's available, these were just the only 5pc kit's I could find online.

However, you guy's get the better Recip, and Circ saw. Our recip saw is the compact version with 2 blade settings, you guy's get the USA XRP version with the 4 position blade change. Our circ saw comes with a steel base, your's comes with the magnesium base.

I voted no since I always find getting the tools back in the hard cases difficult. The cords (from charger) never seem to fit inside. I'm just a DIY'er so don't have a use for the increased protection offered by them. It's easier to store the soft case when not being used too.

**A previous poster commented on the 12v max lineup on this thread and I just wanted to give my +1 on the entire setup. Great tools.

They were supposed to be available last month. I would assume they will be launched the same time 20v max is launched, which is supposed to be the beginning of Sept. KJones mentioned it may roll out even sooner?

I followed these launches over the last few years, and literally none of them launch when the press release say's it is.

I prefer the hard cases.  I keep all my batteries in 1 soft bag & all my chargers in another soft bag.  Since all my cordless tools are DeWalt, this system works great for me.  I always put the tool back in the case.  This protects the tool and seems to increase it's life.  I have seen guys that just throw the tools in their truck without any case and they are replacing their tools before me.  Worked as an electrician for 8 1/2 years and this was my method of madness. 

Been unemployed for a year and a half, so I have been out of the loop.  But I thought I would toss in my $.02!

Hard Cases! I recently purchased an orange saw from an orange store and I thought 'my that's an awefully compact saw' when I got home and opened it up...I was upset that it came with nothing to store the saw in.

If you do have a hard case, then please make it so that you can store extra blades, accessories etc in it.It would also be nice if the Tough Cases were in the various sizes that you could store various power tools in - like drill/ angle grinder/jig saw size, recip saw/rotary hammer size, circular saw/ router size etc. and just a few sizes of hand tool boxes.

Hard cases by far!  Wish the 12V max came with hard cases!  I have a few of those soft bags doing nothing in my garage.  I'll go on ebay to find the Dewalt hard cases for the tool.  Seems like HD and LOW both seem to be getting more soft cases.  But you can still find the case for the matching tool on the 'bay.  I love opening up my storage cabinet and looking at about 18 hard cases and just looking at the model number sticking out at me to find the tool I need.

Hard cases by far!  Wish the 12V max came with hard cases!  I have a few of those soft bags doing nothing in my garage.  I'll go on ebay to find the Dewalt hard cases for the tool.  Seems like HD and LOW both seem to be getting more soft cases.  But you can still find the case for the matching tool on the 'bay.  I love opening up my storage cabinet and looking at about 18 hard cases and just looking at the model number sticking out at me to find the tool I need.

That is one thing I hate. I know some of modelnumbers to keep them apart, but I added stickers on the sides that says which tool is inside. I wish DeWALT did this instead. Or a little sticker with a picture/image of the tool.

I would be willing to pay more if the hard case is water proof and has a larger loop for a larger lock or cable. Up to $50. On the flip side, my tools live either in the utility bin of the truck or in the chest at home.

I can't buy a combo kit, cause I haven't had one die on me yet. In 8 years I've been through about 15 batteries, 4 (!) cordless hammer drills (I do abuse these daily), two lights, and two sawzalls. Every tool dies at a different pace and my skil saw is about 9 years old now.

Another thing, the 12v max impact driver and led light are awesome! Everyone I show them to are impressed.

• 1 month later...

Hard cases.  I would definitely be willing to pay a little more to get a hard case.  In fact I am already planning to buy all of my 20v max stuff in a way that they will all come with hard cases....for instance I want the Hammer Drill, so I'm buying it by itself because I can't find it in a combo with a case.  I'm also buying the recip by itself, same reason.  Then I'll buy the drill/driver and impact combo cuz I found them in a case together.

If anyone can find me the Drill/Recip combo in a case, let me know.  I got my DC925 and Recip about 4 years ago in this manner, then one day the case disappeared and I haven't seen it since....ugh.

Archived