Bosch 12V to DeWalt 12V MAX?

HDClown

I have a mostly complete collection of Bosch 12V Li-Ion tools:

PS10 I-Driver

PS20 Pocket Driver

PS40 Impactor Fastening Driver

4 12V Li-Ion Batteries (BAT411)

2 12V Chargers (BC430)

2 soft cases - one holds the PS10/2 batts outside of the tool/charger, one holds the PS20/PS40 with 2 batts in the tool

These are the 1st generation of the tools from the 12V line.  What I consider to be missing to complete the 12V collection is a traditional chucked drill/driver, the PS30/PS31

Today I saw the DeWalt DCK312S2 kit, which includes the DCD710, DCF815, DCF610, 2 12V batteries, and 1 12V charger for $199 (normally $249).  Since the kit ends in "S2", I assume the tools in side are the "S2" as well, even though the picture of the box doesn't list the "S2" after each tools model.  I also believe I saw that Lowes is running the promotion again where you get a free battery with purchase.

I think the allure of the lower price and the promotion is catching me more than being realistic, but I'm consdering buying the DeWalt kit.  I'd end up having exact duplication of tools, so this seems awefully silly, so I'm wondering if there are things that are simly better about the DeWalt 12V MAX vs my current Bosch tools?  For some reason, DeWalt tools always call to me, and I'm not sure why.  Something I'm most interested in is form factor.  The DeWalt tools have a more comfortable traditional form factor IMO, but the Bosch ones are not uncomfortable.  However, the DeWalt form factor seems like they would take up more space in a small hand bag.  The Bosch ones just look much smaller, but maybe that's deceiving?

If I got the DeWalt, I'd probably try and sell the Bosch tools, with the exception fo the I-Driver, as that's not a form factor DeWalt has in the 12V MAX line.  They do have one using NiCd batts, but I'm trying to limit my battery styles and chargers (one reason I started to buy the Bosch 12V line), so I see no reason to switch to that one.  However, my goal of limiting batteries/chargers goes out the window if I kep the I-Driver in the mix.  But, it's also a tool I have found not much use for, and I really have no need to bring around much, so it would be mostly "sit on the shelf for that are occasion", so it's kind of an odd man out in the collection in general.

In terms of other tools, I have a 5 piece Bosch 18V set, but no batteries for it (they died and they haven't been replaced).  That set has a hammer drill/driver, circ saw, jig saw, sawzall, and light, all in a big soft bag.  I also have a 2 piece DeWalt 18V set with drill/driver and sawzall, using NiCd XRP batteries, which was given to me as a gift.  I told myself I'm going to switch to DeWalt and switch to the 18V Li-Ion batts, but have had no luck selling the Bosch tools to help fund building out more 18V tools.  Then the 20V line dropped with new battery styles and I found myself saying I need to start all over again and ditch my DeWalt 18V pieces too, for no real good reason!

Ah, what to do

I would obvioulsy suggest buying the DeWALT 12v MAX kit... ;)

No disrespect intended, but if you look at every review that I am aware of, the DeWALT finishes far ahead of the Bosch unit.  The speed of application, run time, cycle life, and ergonomics will go way up.  It is a slam dunk in my opinion.

As far as the DeWALT 18v vs. 20v MAX goes, both are great options.  If you really prefer the ergonomics side of things, you may want to go 20v before you are too invested in any other line.  If you are happy with the 18v, stick with it.

Anyway, that's my opinion!  Hope it helps!

Sorry, forgot to cover that part.  The "s2" portion of the model number is only use in kits, and refrences "2" batteries.  The number portion of the model number (ie. 710) describes the tool.

so yes, these are the same tools, and they are the first and only edition.

I saw this kit just the other day and just about flipped my lid.  I couldn't resist the two tool offer earlier this year that I bit on, now they release the 3 tool deal for same price and the same free battery offer.....man stuff like that can really annoy the crap out of the consumer!

Question about the 3 tool kit.....do any of the tools have a delay for the LED's?  I've always said that I'd sell my 12v max stuff I have now if they updated the stuff with delays like the 20v max has.

I saw this kit just the other day and just about flipped my lid.  I couldn't resist the two tool offer earlier this year that I bit on, now they release the 3 tool deal for same price and the same free battery offer.....man stuff like that can really annoy the crap out of the consumer!

Question about the 3 tool kit.....do any of the tools have a delay for the LED's?  I've always said that I'd sell my 12v max stuff I have now if they updated the stuff with delays like the 20v max has.

No delay on the LED lights for the 12v MAX at this point.  I do not know if it is in the works or not, so I can't speak to the future 12v MAX tools.

Ended up buying this kit yesterday.  Even had to drive to a second Lowes since the one I first saw it at was out of stock! Going to just sell off my Bosch tools (although I'll keep the I-Driver for now, until perhaps I get the DeWalt 20V line and the right-angle driver that is available).

I haven't actually had any use for this since yesterday afternoon, but when I went back to Lowes and sat the Bosch tools over the DeWalt, I saw size differences where minimal (with Bosch being slightly smaller0 but not in a way that I will compromise hand tote space.  The biggest difference I paid attention to was comfort, and man is the DeWalt design better.  The big flat finger area on the face of the Bosch grip is simply not comfortable compared to the DeWalt grip, and the battery being at the base of the grip instead of through 3/4 of the grip makes for a tool that is balanced much better than those that use the stick style battery.

As far as LED delay goes, I've never even thought about it.  I can see it being useful, but you can just lightly pull the trigger to make the LED come on without firing the motor.  I've always done this for whenever I want some light but no motor.  Almost as good as having the light stay on after the fact.  You can just let go over the trigger to the point where the motor stops but it's not fully release, and voila!  LED delay for as long as you need it.

What I would really like to see is someone come up with a non-obstrusive way to get an LED ring on a chucked drill (like on the non-chucked drill/driversn and impactors).  The single LED underneath casts a shadow that can make it difficult to see that mark where you are supposed to drill.

New tools are always fun!  Now what I would really like to see is a 12V max compact jigsaw and 3 3/8" circ saw (like you can get from Makita, Craftsman and under the B&D brand name). 

Obligatory new shiny shot:

IMG_1258.JPG

HDClown, have you used any LED lighted tools before?  They are nice, but squeezing the trigger just a little bit to get the light to come on can be tough to do without starting the drill.  I don't have as much of a problem doing that, but it's when you're in the process of driving something, and you let off the trigger completely on/off/on/ff which I know many do while using drills that causes the strobe light effect.  After using the 20v max it highlights the annoyance!

Archived