TIA Review - DCD785 & DCD985

anadevi

TIA did a review of these two drills. Overall not a bad review if you want to check it out:

My only critique of this review is the stalling the drill out with a 3/4 spade bit.  I've used my DCD985 with 3/4 Auger bits without a problem in 1st gear. I've not tried my DCD785 but I've got no reason to doubt on speed 1 it would have any issue with a 3/4 Auger bit. They used high gear on both the DCD785 & DCD985 which is probably the reason the electronics intervined.

Anyway, if your interested check out the review. A few weeks ago they did the DCD980 & DCD780 (non-hammer versions) if you leaning in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...

these guys are idiots, that was a rubbish review, they didn't do any tests on torque and when the drills started cutting out rather then being honest and saying they cut out too early, they started making excuses like the drill bits dull or they were pushing too hard. i dont care what anyone says but those drills should have been able to go through that timber with that spade bit extremely easily, even on the top gear (which by the way is the correct gear when using a spade bit)

I was testing a new drill I just got and at the same time did a couple of quick tests on the 785 & 985.

The DCD785 ran a 7/8 spade bit into a 2x4 OK. It however stalled using a  7/8 self feed  Auger bit.

The DCD985 ran both the 7/8 spade bit & 7/8 self feed auger easily though a 2x4.

these guys are idiots, that was a rubbish review, they didn't do any tests on torque and when the drills started cutting out rather then being honest and saying they cut out too early, they started making excuses like the drill bits dull or they were pushing too hard. i dont care what anyone says but those drills should have been able to go through that timber with that spade bit extremely easily, even on the top gear (which by the way is the correct gear when using a spade bit)

• 10 months later...

I've seen a lot of the videos put out by those two knuckle heads, they shouldn't be reviewing power tools in my opinion, the one guy can't even keep a bit on the end of a driver in some of their videos, and they actually like Ridgid tools which anyone who does serious work with cordless tools knows Ridgid simply doesn't hold up, batteries and tool wise.  I have one Ridgid tool left, the only decent cordless thing they made, a Jobmax, 12V system, use it moderately to trim door casings for flooring.  Even that tool overheats, stops frequently and has bad connections on the head.

DeWalt and Makita are my tools of choice.  Dewalt for power and speed working on floors, thresholds, concrete, tapcons, etc, Makita for anything overhead or going into light walls or long term light duty.  In my opinion both Makita and DeWalt make the most ergonomic and strongest tools on the market.  Especially when it comes to batteries.  The stories of DeWalt batteries don't even compare to the nightmares that Milwaukee and Ridgid have now.

New to the forum here by the way, glad this forum exists.