Random Orbit Sander question.

Russ1393434539

Hello everyone, I have a question about random orbit sanders.  I am thinking of buying one (I'll get the the brands in a second) but truth be told in complete seriousness, virtually none of the  "modern" Random orbit sanders really have look anything special to me.

Brand wise, of course I initially looked at Dewalt.  Well I'll give the new sanders this, they look cool and nice looking.  But so does sand paper with a coloring added.  I then looked at Porter Cable and for a while thought I'd have more luck and I did, until several reviews I read pointed out some pretty big flaws (though not as bad as the Ryoobi's and Rigid's I was looking at.)

So since I had luck last time, I am going to try this again.  I know Random Orbit Sanders have existed since the early 60's, but I imagine Dewalt and even Porter Cable made Random Orbit Sanders during a time when they were still made in USA.

So my question to anyone who has the knowledge and time is, does anyone know a model number to a Dewalt Random Orbit Sander that was made in USA?  I'd really been quite greatful if anyone listed a model number to one that was made in USA.

Thank you very much for any help. 

I think the Dewalt DW422 was made in the USA, it would of had to be a original launch product though. I could be wrong, but you'd have to do some digging to find out. I'm sure you could find a old Black&Decker INDUSTRIAL sander that was made in the USA, pre 80's. Not sure if they ever made one though? The original Sear's, and Rockler brand's would have most likely been made in the USA as well.

As a side note, if you are on a MADE IN USA kick, have you looked at these site's for MADE IN THE USA products?

http://americansworking.com/tools.html

http://www.madeinusa.org/

http://madeinusaforever.com/

Dewaltdude:  Thank you for taking the time to post on a busy day such as today.  I have done two full days of searching and several hours of research, but for the life of me, finding a quality ROS.  ROS standing for Random Orbit Sander.

Anyway, so DW422 is likely made in USA?  Okay, will do some research on that.  I know Black and Decker did make some sanders, but I have one seen one and even though I barely touched the unit, I felt as if the unit would break within an hour at most. 

I have actually checked out www.madeinusa.org, but haven't with the others.  Thank you with the help. 

There was a extremely helpful user last time who told me about DW990, so I hoping he(?)/she(?) might pop in again and help me out, much like you did.

Thanks for the help once again, truly am grateful any and all help. 

DewaltDude:  Your awesome, I am really grateful for you doing that research.  I think that Crafsman Power Sand was likely the final power tool ever made in USA with Sears.   And it's very likely that is the only Ryobi Sander I'll ever see in my entire lifetime that was made in USA as well.

I wonder though, did hook and loop pads exist back then?  Because while Velcro  isn't that bad, it can clog up and after a while, I've noticed that it doesn't work as well as in the beginning.  So I went to Home Depot yesterday and spoke to several employee's who  happened to do years of experience with sanders (I think one was a retired professional carpenter) said that even if you used industrial strength Velcro and glued it down with gorilla glue, after a while, it will become just as worn as a regular piece of Velcro.

While I have found several places to get a DW422 and even 421, the condition of the tools and price were not worth it.  Because while I can fix up the device, if the price in buying it is rather high,  this could become a very expensive project.  Also, I am not sure if they are hook and loop, as I am not even sure if that existed back then.  

However, while I haven't really found a Random Orbit Sander that I really want to buy yet, I have found information on what not to buy.

Thank you very much for all your help so far DewaltDude.

EDIT  So I've done a great deal of searching and while this ROS isn't made in USA (it's made in Mexico) the Dewalt D26453K seems like the best Random Orbital Sander that is still in production.  However, there is a potential giant safety issue that could prevent me from wanting this.

Here is  series of reviews from Dewalt's website, Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon and even product information from Grainger.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/woodworking-sanders-random-orbital-sanders-d26453k.aspx  Dewalt's website

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100671644&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=1646355&isShowFreeShipping=true&amtLeftForFreeShip=45.00&isOrderQualifiesForFreeShip=false&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1646355-_-10368321&cpncode=33-2393913&SID=15053889.33-2393913&AID=10368321&cm_ven=CJ&cj=true&srccode=15053889&locStoreNum=469  Home Depot

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26453K-5-Inch-Variable-Random/dp/B0007XXHGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325017640&sr=8-1  Amazon

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=D26453K&op=search&Ntt=D26453K&N=0&sst=subset  Grainger

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117946-70-D26453K+V_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3009582&UserSearch=d26453k&Ntt=d26453k&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24  Lowes

I've read virtually every review on each site and have actually called my local Dewalt Factory Service shop about this item and this item and this ROS really does look great.  However, here comes the safety issue I've read about.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26453K-5-Inch-Variable-Random/product-reviews/B0007XXHGY/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_4?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFourStar 

In  a nutshell, it's about the power switch, apparently it's very sensitive and even a light tap could turn it on and this could be trouble if you accidentally touch the button.  This isn't a uncommon problem it seems.

Now here is a more pressing issue.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_117946-70-D26453K+V_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3009582&UserSearch=d26453k&Ntt=d26453k&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

However, this is the main issue.  Here is the review in this person's words.

Started on fire

I was using this sander maybe the second or 3rd time sanding some doors. While sanding it all of a sudden went dead. I flip the switch to off and back on and sparks and smoke came out of it. Lowes gracefully took it back and I bought the same product, so far so good. I gave it a 4 star because it is not made in the USA.

While I do wish this was made in USA, the fact this unit nearly caught on fire is a issue with me. 

Has this happened to anyone else with D26453K?   

Russ, I've been buying Makita tools made in Japan as and when I find them. The older designs still built in Japan are, unpolished, basic power tools. They are slowly disappearing as Makita updates the model and shifts production to China.

I've not taken any more than a cursory look at the B06030 ROS. It's been around for a while and any reviews have been quite positive. Not sure where it's made but if you can find a Japan built Makita ROS it will be a quality tool.

Anadevi,  I've been told Makita is a good company and have done some research, however the latest Makita ( B05030K) has me a bit worried about ever buying a modernized Makita.  I've heard that the ball bearing's one that model in particular has shattered, a crucial component on that has melted and one review on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5030K-5-Inch-Random-Sander/product-reviews/B001LXJRRW/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Has pointed out that the unit works well for a time and no works as well is nearly 100% off balance when used, but okay when not in use.  No point in having a tool that works somewhat well if you can't really use it.

What is even more saddening is that is model is actually assembled in USA and that case is very nice and still uses storage box, not a bag like with Dewalt's these days. 

Anadevi if you know of a Makita that uses a Hook and loop system and is made in Japan, I'd sure like a model number if you have one.    I took a giant risk buying a used DW990, but not only has it not once failed me, but it's well built and likely will last a very long time.  I'll take a look at B06030 ROS, but if you have any model numbers, that would certainly be a giant help.

I'll fully admit, I am somewhat thinking of getting Dewalt's D26453K merely because this seems to one the only Dewalt ROS that looks like it can tackle heavy duty usage and is the only Dewalt ROS (made in 2004 it seems) that has mostly positive reviews.

However based solely on the reviews, the power switch (while it's dust sealed) seems very sensitive and according to that Lowe's reviewer the unit shorted and it seemed like it nearly caught on fire.  I am much more worried about a unit shorting than a switch due to the fact I swapping out a switch is less expensive than replacing a entire unit.

Anadevi thank you for your help though.  I never knew much about Makita (other than they were one of the few best power tool companies back in the late 80's, early 90's.) but I do like Japan made items and have several and virtually none of them have ever caused me any problems. 

The B05030K is the new Makita style which are not built in Japan. These newer tools are being built to meet a price point. They are lot cheaper than the models being replaced. The BO6030 is three times the price so you have to decide if yo would get the use out of the BO6030 to justify the cost.

There's nothing wrong with going for the cheaper option here, after all you are still ahead if it needs to be replaced.

I really don't pay much attention to the whining reviews about poor quality on Amazon. The $60 tool is built to a price point, and you are not going to get the quality of the $200 tool. The reason tools are being built down to these price points and being shifted out of the developed markets is because people were not willing to pay the extra $. These same people complaining about the quality were whining yesterday's about the price.

Also, there are very high quality tools coming out of China but they are not at the rock bottom prices we expect to pay for "Made in China". Depending on the tool, my needs, and expected useful life, I have a mix of tools at various price points. I tend to be somewhere in the middle as far as cost, the very high end (price wise) tools generally don't make it in my tool box nor do the low end tools (price wise).

Anadevi,  I've been told Makita is a good company and have done some research, however the latest Makita ( B05030K) has me a bit worried about ever buying a modernized Makita.   I've heard that the ball bearing's one that model in particular has shattered, a crucial component on that has melted and one review on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5030K-5-Inch-Random-Sander/product-reviews/B001LXJRRW/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Thanks for your help Anadevi, I took a closer look at both Makita's, but unfortunately both models (the newer one and older one) look nice, but I am probably going to do some more research before buying them.

However, I've done some extensive research on Dewalt Random Orbital Sander Model number D26453K and what I learned is a topic of interest.    Only the unit itself is made in Mexico, but the cloth storage bag (which I heard barely fits the unit itself) and the vacuum adapter are made in China.  A Home Depot associate opened up the box and looked directly at the unit, the box and the "bonus" items as well. 

This is interesting as yesterday I called Dewalt and my local Dewalt Factory service and they both told me that the item was made in USA entirely.  Yet the product information on the unit itself tells a different story.  Quite hilarious actually and you know, it was well worth the time I spent on the phone.

Here is more information that I found quite interesting.  The only difference between the the D26453 and a earlier model D26450 is the fact that the D26453 is variable speed and the D26450 is single speed.  Both are hook and loop as well.

I do wish Dewalt still made those heavy duty storage cases though, now it's all cloth bag and it won't be long before the drill cases will switch entirely to cloth as well.  I think I remember being told that vinyl might be used with drills in the future though. 

Archived