DEWALT® Launches New Reciprocating Saw DWE357

kanxrus

DEWALT® Launches New Reciprocating Saw with Unique, Compact Configuration for Balance and Control*

TOWSON, Md. (Feb. 7, 2012) – Today, DEWALT announces the launch of its new Reciprocating Saw (DWE357), which features a unique, compact configuration that provides outstanding control and balance compared to traditional reciprocating saw designs, without sacrificing the power that professionals expect. The DWE357 is ideal for general contractors, mechanical contractors, demolition workers, electricians, HVAC professionals, framers, remodelers and other residential and commercial construction professionals who are tasked with completing cutting applications in tight spots, overhead and other challenging workspaces.

“Our new, compact reciprocating saw is designed to provide professionals with improved balance and comfort, allowing them to complete a variety of cutting applications efficiently,†said Ivonne Meza, DEWALT product manager. “The saw’s innovative configuration enables contractors to cut in tight spaces where reciprocating saws can’t typically go, providing versatility on the jobsite.â€

The reciprocating saw weighs just 6.8 pounds and is 14.5 inches in length, making it 20 percent shorter than other traditional corded models currently on the market. The compact size allows users to make strong, fast cuts in small spaces such as in between rafters and studs, under sinks and in corners.

Despite its small size, the DWE357 features a 10 AMP motor that delivers the power to complete tough applications, with 2,800 strokes per minute (SPMs) and a 1 1/8-inch blade stroke length. The saw is designed to provide balance and control, ultimately helping professionals to work longer and experience less fatigue.

In addition to its compact design, the DWE357 includes several innovative features including a lever-actuated, four-position blade clamp and fixed/pivoting shoe. The four-position blade clamp is unique to DEWALT reciprocating saws and allows users to position the blade in horizontal and vertical positions. The pivoting shoe provides the leverage necessary to complete different applications, making the saw versatile particularly in flush-cutting applications. Additionally, the DWE357 includes a keyless blade change feature that allows users to replace the blade easily and efficiently.

The DWE357 also features an ergonomic handle with a soft overmold for comfort while cutting. The handle helps to minimize discomfort for contractors who use reciprocating saws throughout the workday. Also aiding in comfort, the saw features a variable speed one-finger switch.

The reciprocating saw will be available at home centers and through the independent channel in the second half of 2012. The DWE357 is expected to retail for approximately $129.00, and will come standard with a three-year limited warranty, one-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee.

About DEWALT;

DEWALT is a leading manufacturer of industrial power tools and accessories, including corded and cordless drills, saws, hammers, grinders, routers, planers, plate joiners, sanders, lasers, generators, compressors, nailers, saw blades, metal and masonry drill bits, abrasives, screwdriving accessories and more. DEWALT tools can be found nationally and internationally, wherever tools are sold. With more than 1,000 factory-owned and authorized locations, DEWALT has one of the most extensive service and repair networks in North America. For more information, visit www.dewalt.com or follow DEWALT on Facebook and Twitter.

Reciprocating-Saw-DWE357.jpg

Reciprocating-Saw-2-DWE357.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, I'd just like to say that this is a fantastic new tool.

I had the chance to test a pre-production model.

The thing that I think most people will find weird about this tool is the shape. I initially did. I didn't really see the point of it.

But there have indeed been a few times when it's allowed me to get into small places where  normal one one wouldn't do. Especially for flush cuts.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the pre-production one if anyone's interested.

Here's the tool itself (ignore the power plug, I'm from Australia:

Compact-sabre-saw.jpg

This is a size comparison with a 20V MAX battery (known as 18V XR in Australia):

Compact-sabre-saw_battery.jpg

• 6 months later...

I bought one a few days ago. Reciprocating saws are the kind of saws I do not like because of the often heavy vibration and unbalanced feel. So when DeWALT first announced this new DWE357 it caught my interest.

Having one now I am impressed. It feels very comfortable in the hands, mainly due to the familiar rubberized grip, but most of all, it is balanced just right. Also I like the 4-position blade clamp and the blade change lever. Big improvement over the old style blade change system. I never liked that.