DCD780 Questions -

sdaniels

Hello,

I'm a new DeWalt owner and I have a couple of questions about the drill.  If I have the drill on high speed and release the trigger quickly the chuck makes a rat-a-tat-tat sound much like the clutch does when driving screws.  It's much worse on high speed versus low speed, but it definitely sounds odd.  I've also noticed that there's lots of 'slop' in the chuck (i.e. I can move it a quarter to a half an inch either way) when the drill is off so I was wondering if that's OK as well.  I see there was a post about sparks so I'm assuming those are normal based on what I've read thus far.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm a new DeWalt owner and I have a couple of questions about the drill.  If I have the drill on high speed and release the trigger quickly the chuck makes a rat-a-tat-tat sound much like the clutch does when driving screws.  It's much worse on high speed versus low speed, but it definitely sounds odd.  I've also noticed that there's lots of 'slop' in the chuck (i.e. I can move it a quarter to a half an inch either way) when the drill is off so I was wondering if that's OK as well.  I see there was a post about sparks so I'm assuming those are normal based on what I've read thus far.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The drill will make a "slapping" noise when you quickly let Off the trigger, as the transmission brake kicks in. You should not get anywhere near a quarter inch of side to side play in the chuck though. If you have a hammer drill, you will get considerable movement in and out, as that is how the hammer mechanism engages, but the dcd780 is not a hammer drill. If you really are getting that kind of movement in the chuck, exchange it for another.

Archived