Is Dewalt's new 20V line just the 18V overhyped? Need Advice ASAP pls

DewaltNoob

So a buddy of mine is offering me a great deal on this http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK290L2-20-Volt-Li-Ion-Hammer/dp/B0052MIJN6  because he bought one then lost the receipt and then his wife bought one for him and lost the receipt.

My question is, do i wait for the next evolution of dewalt tools because i have heard that the 20V is just the Dewalt Marketing department overhyping the 18V?

Noob here to all things tools and home improvement so more info is better but please keep it clear cut

The 20 v max tools is Dewalts new tool range. Sure, some of them have a lot of common with the older line of tools but many of them are new tools. For example, the dcd785 drill/driver is like a all new product but the dcd985 drill/driver is more related to its predecessor.

Biggest difference is the way you insert the battery, the older line is a pod style battery and the new line is using slide battery. Also, the new line will for sure get more news and development regarding new tools and so on regardless what Dewalt say.

Now also new 4,0 A battery with fuelguage is comming to the new line and I really do not think that those battery will come to the old lone.

So basically, i ended up buying the drill, again, good buddy and good deal, still expensive, but worth every cent.

Talked to dewalt, they told me while the Battery is 20V, but what comes out of the chuck is 18V.  I then inquired as to with an 18V dewalt drill, what comes out of the chuck, in which case the rep didn't know because they don't have the specs.

The model i have doesn't have the batteries with fuel gages, they are just JUST bringing out that stuff now.  ALthough from what i have read, other companies have brought that stuff out already, so why Dewalt is following instead leading as usual i don't know

About fuelgauge, well, Personally that is not something I got a hard on but I guess that as most competition have it nowdays  Dewalt feel thay also need to have it.

20 v in the battery and 18 v out in the chuck????!!! That was one of the most stupid explanations I´ve ever heard of. But, if it is true I will for now on only buy very cheap drills for a couple of dollars since they also will produce 18 v out in the chuck and therefore must be as good as a pro drill for 200 dollar.

To make a long story short, it is more than the voltage on the batterypack that gives a drill the spec it has.

About fuelgauge, well, Personally that is not something I got a hard on but I guess that as most competition have it nowdays  Dewalt feel thay also need to have it.

20 v in the battery and 18 v out in the chuck????!!! That was one of the most stupid explanations I´ve ever heard of. But, if it is true I will for now on only buy very cheap drills for a couple of dollars since they also will produce 18 v out in the chuck and therefore must be as good as a pro drill for 200 dollar.

To make a long story short, it is more than the voltage on the batterypack that gives a drill the spec it has.

It is not literally "20 in the tool, 18 out the chuck", that is just a very simplified way that someone is trying to use in case you didn't know the technical details of batteries. There is no point in once again arguing the 20v max branding yet again on this site, but I d think it pertinent to point out that whoever used that quote obviously knew that he was over simplifying it.  As far as your "all 18v tools are created equal argument (that is where it seems you were going at least), voltage is just one of MANY factors that influence overall quality.

Kjones

Of course I understood it was just a very simplified way to explain it in. I know batterytools very well since I use them very often and also repair them now and then and also doing some text articicels for magazines in sweden about tools.

But that way to simplifi it sounded to me so , actually i do not know what to write. Maybee it was something I missed since English is not my mother toung. I do not know.

Anyway, Still I think there is actually a lot of things that do seperate the new line from the old line. Not only the pod and slide battery thing.

20 v in the battery and 18 v out in the chuck????!!! That was one of the most stupid explanations I´ve ever heard of.

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/LOGOS/TOOLNET/DEWALT/Subbrandlogos_Web/20V%20Max%20disclaimer.jpg

"Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18"

Isn't what that statement basically says?