XRP & XR range

stony20021393434552

i am really saddened by the fact that i have invested over £1800 into dewalt cordless tools, and now to basicly be up against them having a new system.  i dont know what to do!? do i sell my current system for next to almost nothing that i paid for it and put it all towards the XR kit or do i just leave it as it is? I just phoned my local dewalt tool centre to ask how much for a new 2.6 nimh battery and he said that dewalt have stopped making them and that prices are going up so they can try to push people onto the XR range...is this true? if so this is so unfair to people like me who have spent alot of hard earned cash to be pushed aside and basicly blackmailed into buying their new range.

so the question is, do i sell up and upgrade? or just hold out?

I'm not going to respond to most of this, as it has already been covered extensively.

However, it is 100% false that the 18v batteries are disco'd. The mistake was probably that you described the wrong battery.myou want a 2.4 amp/hr nickel cadmium (ni-cad). The model number in the US is DC9096.

18v is not going anywhere. If you like it, keep it. If you like the 20v, get it. Totally your choice.

On top of that these tools NEVER sell for next to nothing even when used. They have a Great re-sale value.  I have tons invested in the 18 volt line with over 25 nicad and lithium batteries, and actually went for the 20 volt system just to give them a shot.  They were nice, but its almost the same tool with a new battery platform and better grip.  Sold the 20V set and didn't lose much at all.  I doubt you will EVER have a problem finding 18 volt dewalt batteries, just like when you go to home depot and they still have the Makita 9.6 batteries for a drill 20 years old.  Recognize a classic.  I still love my first DW988, which turned into a dc988, then DCD951.  That drill will live forever. 

I'm not going to respond to most of this, as it has already been covered extensively.

However, it is 100% false that the 18v batteries are disco'd. The mistake was probably that you described the wrong battery.myou want a 2.4 amp/hr nickel cadmium (ni-cad). The model number in the US is DC9096.

18v is not going anywhere. If you like it, keep it. If you like the 20v, get it. Totally your choice.

OP looks to be in Europe. Things may be a little different over there, including model numbers and product lines. Either way Stony, I would get a second opinion and find out if they truly are discontinuing the NiCad/nimh. The other option is to buy the XRP Lithium. Dewalt 18v XRP has a huge market share in the states so they are continuing to support the XRP platform even though they came out with the 20v or XR tools. This may not be the case in Europe because the XRP line didn't have a ton of market share (could be wrong). I also think I remember hearing that NiCad/NiMh was nearly non exsistant in Europe due to environmental laws and that the majority of cordless tools are all Lithium Ion. Once again, this is all speculation. They don't communicate to us stuff that is going on elsewhere in the world as far as products go. I learned about 4.0 Amp Hour batteries being tested in Australia on the internet before I heard anything about it from the company for example.