Dewalt Shop Vacuum

tvenetis

I really wouldn't call the 20 max line an upgrade.  Just different, and limited.  MAYBE once they do come out with as many 20 volt tools a 18 volt, it would be, Maybe.  BUT I doubt you will ever see a 20 max biscuit joiner, caulk gun, and probably not any type of nail gun, ac/dc vac,  halogen area lights, dual 20 chargers.

I really wouldn't call the 20 max line an upgrade.  Just different, and limited.  MAYBE once they do come out with as many 20 volt tools a 18 volt, it would be, Maybe.  BUT I doubt you will ever see a 20 max biscuit joiner, caulk gun, and probably not any type of nail gun, ac/dc vac,  halogen area lights, dual 20 chargers.

The 20v line has been out for 1 year and 1 month and already has over 15+ tools in the system. Dewalt will continue to grow this line and will prioritize the release of these items bases on demand (which we can tell from looking at 18v sales of the same tool) and some other factors like engineering/design time, technology advancements, etc. I'm sure you guys have seen the picture on this forum of the Radio coming out and though I can't speak specifics, I know one of the items you listed here is due out the early part of next year. The 18v line has just over 40 tools in the system and it will take us a while to match that but releasing over 15 tools for the 20v system in the first year is pretty impressive to me. For example, I am sure the Vacuum is something engineers are working on but based on demand, people wanted the radio released first and Dewalt is prioritizing based on those demands.

Let's compare 18v to 20v Lithium:

18v 2.5 Ah XRP Lithium Battery - $130

20v 3.0 Ah Lithium Battery - $99

18v XRP Battery Warranty - 2 years

20v 3.0 Ah Battery Warranty - 3 years

In 20v you get more Ah (or more run time) than 18v. You get a better warranty, and you get it for $30 less than the 18v. We also have state of charge lights on the 20v now. That's just the benefit on the batteries.

As far as the tools go, you'll find the balance and ergonomics (handle design) is typically better on the 20v as well.

We understand we have a lot of customers who use 18v tools that are not yet available in the 20v platform, and are not willing to switch until we do come out with that specific tool in 20v and that is fine. 18v is still a great and proven platform and we will continue to support it. But for someone that was choosing between both platforms and the 20v platform currently had all of the tools they would need available. I would without a doubt recommend the 20v line.

Yes the handles are nicer indeed, balance on the drill 985 vs 970, I go with the 970 in my opinion.  Not trying to knock the 20, I have always pushed people towards it in selling and just advice as well in my job and on this forum.  I had most of the 20v line and soon realized how much I had invested in the 18 line, and how many tools I used which only the 18 offered.  If all those tools do come out in 20 someday I will switch back.  But I did keep my dcf895, dc780, dcl040 just because of their awesomeness and compact size.