The new DeWalt 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw!...

Yep.

...doesn't exist.

But it should.

Sorry. I know; "Cruel trick, dude... cruel." But it's actually a product which I think would have pretty big sales impact. (Which is how you have to say things when you're talking to corporate.) The engineering would be nil; Pappy B&D already has one, it's even 20V, just make it pro-grade. I think it could be sold like crazy for just over a hundred bucks. (Not to even bring in the Christmas potential.)... (which I just did...)

Can't tell you how many times a project gets put on hold because of some tree- clearing issue, while someone digs a chainsaw out of the truck with an empty tank, has to shop for gas AND oil, all the while surrounded by DeWalt tools with rechargeable batteries. Also not a fan of seeing circular saws improvised to cut off tree limbs... Most of us don't need a chainsaw every day, but by Gosh when you need one, you NEED one. However, I do think they'd sell extremely well in winter for sectioning firewood.

Anyway, that's my own personal request. Put me down for one. Or (now don't throw anything at me...) a DeWalt to Black and Decker battery adapter...  ;D ;D ;D

Yep. I hear ya, but still- no shortage of lube on a jobsite and wouldn't have someone take the time to use a camping saw on more than a few small limbs. I'm talking trees. Got plenty of hand saws, but what we need is an electric that runs off the increasingly ubiquitous 20v platform.

So forgive me for being a but more practical here, rather than dreaming, but though I know a 20v batter would have dreadful run time as a full size chain saw intende for falling, etc. it could be awesome as a beam saw! I don't know how many of you have done this on your sites, but I used to use a chain saw all the time while cutting large glue lams, para lams, beams, etc. could be a cool idea!

You took the words right out of my mouth. And your idea brings to mind a whole new area I hadn't even thought about- I mean why adhere to the typical chainsaw model anyway? I started out cutting pulpwood back in the summers during my high school days (mid 70s... dang I'm gettin' old...) tub_zps1fa3c933.jpg, similar to the one on top. (Bow-blade. Typical to pulpwood where you cut a lot of logs on the ground. You brace the blade on that bottom lip and pivot forward. The saws aren't mine, just a random pic from the net) The basic design for chainsaws have barely changed. (Power supply, clutch, bar, chain. ) Between B&D and DeWalt's intellectual resources, I can see them coming up with a serious machine. And I think power storage/supply is progressing so rapidly that combustion engines on this scale are already archaic.

I'll probably sound like an old man now, but in my life, and I'm only 50, I've seen best technology progress from ten+ pound, chrome steel clamshelled, single speed, corded drills (which nobody even considered using as a screw driver... duhr... hello... it's called a rheostat...) to a five-pound, variable speed, three gear hammer-drill with it's own power supply which has enough torque to wrap you around it like a maypole. (Between, by the way, video conversations with my buddy 3000 miles away on my phone/gps/sound system/guitar tuner/video editor/camera/contractor's reference computer) Captain Kirk's communicator looks like a string and two cans compared to it. I can see batteries cut down to near-weightless (why does no one use aerogel in batteries yet?), brushless, recharged in five minutes by a fabric solar panel. Can't see a chainsaw being that much of a challenge.

Heck, in ten years, we'll probably just point our laser tape measures at beams and trees, and it'll lop them off with 1/1000" tolerance. Or, lol, just say "House." into an iphone and one will pop up, made out of plastic water bottles and recycled tires.

Anyway. I'd like a 20V chainsaw, please. ;)

Yeah, I do like the idea as a beam saw.  It's true though about run times and power, the cordless platforms can provide what, 600 watts of power?  An 1800 watt 120V chainsaw absolutely sucks, in my opinion, compared to a small gas saw.  I guess for me if I know there are trees around, I pack the right tool for the job.

I recently did a job where we used both the Husqvarna and the Sierra saw.  Way faster to cut 2" limbs with a Sierra saw.  Two pulls, I'm not kidding.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll eat my words a little, it seems like some decent cordless chainsaws exist now.  The really good Stihl has about 3x the battery capacity of 20v max 3.0 batteries, but maybe a 20v max saw could work ok for limbing after all, since the Stihl did 43 cuts through an 8" log.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1492&articleID=1919926&artnum=2