20V MAX batteries on eBay

HDClown

There are a lot of people selling 20V MAX batteries on eBay.  Most of them are the first mode w/o the fuel gauge, but there are a handful of people who are selling ones with the gauge.

They all advertise them as new without packaging.  Everyone says they were "separated from kits".  I contacted one seller who is local and they said the same thing, and indicated the batteries had a Dec 2012 manufacture date.

I can save about $80 on a pair of batteries from the local eBay seller, which is a nice chunk of money, but I'm concerned about getting counterfeit batteries.  Is there a good chance these are counterfeit?

If they do in fact have a date code of dec 12 then they probably aren't counterfeit. What you have to look out for is older packs that have the cells switched out. There would be no reason to switch out cells on a battery that's a few months old. Unlike the 18v packs, I have not heard of people building fake 20v batteries from the ground up.