Dewalt 18V support

roadhog96

I remember reading that DeWalt was going to continue supporting 18V owners even after the 20V max came out. That may be the case but every local DeWalt dealer around here doesn't stock the 18V Lion batteries. You can always find tons of 18V NiCad but no Lion. All they carry in the stores are 12 & 20V max. batteries. I check the racks every time I go into the stores which is quit often and they just don't have them. Seems to me that if these places are going to sell DeWalt tools they should be required by DeWalt to keep these in stock in order to be a DeWalt dealer, otherwise, DeWalt, in a round about way, is not supporting their 18V customers. I've been keeping an eye on DeWalt 18V tools on eBay daily for the last couple years. Untill recently I've noticed a very high volume of used 18V tools being sold on eBay. I wonder if a lot of this has to do with contractors getting feed up not being able to conveniently pick up replacement batteries whenever they walk into a store so their dumping them and moving onto the 20V because thats all they can get theirs hands on now. I know I'm so mad about it I'm considering not buying anymore tools that require 18V batteries and dumping mine now before there totally worthless.

Lots to respond to after that post!  First off, you must not work on this side of the industry if you think that DeWALT can tell distributors to carry something!  I know it ,ay sound odd, but distributors can pretty much do whatever they want, and we can only suggest, not control.

As far as lithium inventory, 18v NiCAD outsells 18v lithium by a huge amount. Distributors typically want to minimize inventory, and are only going to sell what they can turn quickly.  We would love to sell everyone truckloads of all of our batteries, but it isn't that simple.

Sorry for the lame answer, but it is entirely up to the distributors to carry different SKU's.  out of curiosity though, what distributors do you shop at?  Most of my local distributors (non-box stores) carry both lithium and NiCAD.

Lots to respond to after that post!  First off, you ,use not work on this side of the industry if you think that DeWALT can tell distributors to carry something!  I know it ,ay sound odd, but distributors can pretty much do whatever they want, and we can only suggest, not control.

As far as lithium inventory, 18v NiCAD outsells 18v lithium by a huge amount. Distributors typically want to minimize inventory, and are only going to sell what they can turn quickly.  We would love to sell everyone truckloads of all of our batteries, but it isn't that simple.

Sorry for the lame answer, but it is entirely up to the distributors to carry different SKU's.  out of curiosity though, what distributors do you shop at?  Most of my local distributors (non-box stores) carry both lithium and NiCAD.

Sorry Roadhog, i'll try harder to sell the lithium 18v to my distributors!  ;D

BTW, you can order any of the lithium batteries from most Dewalt retailers if they don't stock them, or buy them from one of our service centers.

Lots to respond to after that post!  First off, you must not work on this side of the industry if you think that DeWALT can tell distributors to carry something!  I know it ,ay sound odd, but distributors can pretty much do whatever they want, and we can only suggest, not control.

As far as lithium inventory, 18v NiCAD outsells 18v lithium by a huge amount. Distributors typically want to minimize inventory, and are only going to sell what they can turn quickly.  We would love to sell everyone truckloads of all of our batteries, but it isn't that simple.

Sorry for the lame answer, but it is entirely up to the distributors to carry different SKU's.  out of curiosity though, what distributors do you shop at?  Most of my local distributors (non-box stores) carry both lithium and NiCAD.

I was refering to Home Depot and Lowes mainly, they carry quite a few DeWalt tools there. I understand what your saying. I remember the owner of the local Harley Dealer telling me how he had to add on to his shop or loose the Harley Dealership. Harley told him if he was going to continue selling their motorcyles he had to carry more of their merchandise including a full line of motorclothes. He didnt have the room for all this gear without adding on so he had to expand. A lot of Dealers went out of business when Harley started enforcing that rule. Now I know DeWalt is not a franchise business but I'm just ia little surprised they don't have more influence on the dealers as to what they need to carry. The people in charge of purchasing at these businesses obviously don't have a clue what they should be carrying in their stores. This is not the first time I've run into this kind of situation there. For example, Home Depot sells DeWalt impact drivers but don't carring the impact ready T-25 bit and about 90% of their screws take this size. I did find the bit at lowes but a lot of time Lowes has the same issues with other items. Their buyers have no clue. Not saying this is the case everywhere but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.