Update to DeWALT's 36v line

Mr. Yellow

I was just looking at the online DeWALT catalogue (2014) in my country (Netherlands) and noticed they are coming out with new 36V batteries, with 4.0Ah.

They claim a 109% increase in runtime over the previous 2.0Ah 36V batteries.

Now with a fuel gauge and they are backwards compatible with the current 36V line-up of tools.

Weird that they just recently discontinued the 36V jigsaw in my country. It leaves only a small group of tools.

Seems like a good time to relaunch that cordless tracksaw that was previously (and only briefly) in the 28v line.

They are also updating the 36V rotary hammer and it comes in 3 versions.

Available from next month (April), but I've already seen it for sale on eBay.

The 36V rotary hammer, model DCH363D2 (with 2.0Ah battery)

DCH363D2.jpg

Also available with a removable chuck (DCH364) (seen with a 4.0Ah battery)

DCH364M2.jpg

And there's ofcourse the set with the cordless vacuum, DCH365M2.

DCH365M2.jpg

Note. the modelnumbers are European. Might differ from the ones they will launch in the US.

Dewalt had neglected the 36v line. I'm not sure if the other tools will get updated as the interest right now for 36v tools seems mostly for concrete drilling. That's was Bosch and Makita have been pushing out lately right now. I could be wrong be the demand for regular 36v drills and tools deems to have waned as 18v tools have picked up more power over the years.

I hope they will update the other 36V tools as well. They neglected that line for years. Well, it kinda feels like that anyway.

They're also gonna put the other 36v tools out with the new 4.0Ah batteries.

I wonder what just the battery will cost. Probably a small fortune around here...

At one time I really wanted to get into the 36v dewalt line but the small selection of tools kept me away. I really like the power on the hammer drill and circular saw, havent tried them but the stats and reviews are great. I think the drill is like 700 something uwo so its probably like 800-1000 in/lbs torque and the circular saw uses normal 7-1/4" blades

Also I would like to see brushless tools in this line, 36v + brushless would make them unstoppable

I guess there isn't such a big demand for 36V tools?! I'd buy some if the line was bigger. I only have the 36V DC234 rotary hammer with the vacuum unit. It's pricey though, but gotta admit, worth the money. 

But they should update the line. How old are those tools anyway? They could benefit from newer technology, like brushless

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I saw the pricing for the new 36V batteries, but again they don't come cheap in Europe. 

Estimated retail price for one DCB360 (36V 4.0Ah) battery is around €320 ($438)

2075927_DCB360.jpg

The DCB361 (36V 2.0Ah) sells for about €200 ($274) 

2075929_DCB361.jpg

Surely these are not the US prices. I just added those amounts to show what it costs in dollars on this side of the pond.

Wow those are expensive. You can buy single and even combo 20v kits for the price of one 36v battery. I think even the 20v rotary hammer kit is cheaper than the 4.0 battery.

But on the bright side that 4.0 battery probably gives you a week of runtime

• 1 month later...

Are you talking comparing an 18v rotary hammer or just the normal percussion hammer drill you get with most 18v drills? A rotary hammer drill and percussion hammer drill are really two different beasts. A percussion you can drill cement and masonry with it, but a rotary hammer will drill and chip it for dinner. It's like a 4 cylinder motor verses a big beefy v8.

That is exactly why I've been holding off buying the 36V jigsaw. The specs on paper between this and the 18v XR (20V Max) model are mostly similar. So I kinda wonder what the advantage is of 36V. Especially now the 18v/20v have 4.0Ah and the upcoming 5.0Ah batteries.

Although with the power and runtime of a 36V 4.0A battery it should outrun an 18v model everytime.

Perhaps Gatorb888 can fill us in...

Also, this could be a nice review for Dan & Eric to compare the 20V Max rotary hammer vs the new 36V rotary hammer (once it hits the US) to show the benefits of 36v over 20v, because as you said, there's not much between them on paper...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I dealt with the guy from Germany several times and never a problem.

Though I'm in Europe, but don't think it will be a problem getting these shipped overseas.

After all, how does DeWALT get these batteries around the globe....

We use Santa..

• Like 1

I assume it is because it is dangerous cargo...

well, reading through shippers' requirements, i think the main thing is that the batteries are not loose, so that they dont short out.  

No, I don't have these new batteries. I only have the DC234 hammer from the 36V line.

It has the old batteries which are 2.2Ah. The new 4.0Ah should give you about a 100% more runtime.

there is a company here in the US that modifies these packs to 5.0ah for the militray, but they dont come cheap.  but i may go that route if i cant get these 4.0ah batteries.  having the fuel gauge would be nice.