Metric or SAE? (for a DIY guy)

Blake Barnes

I'm kind of new to the "tool world" and BRAND NEW to the "living-with-your-lady world".

What's more common - Metric or SAE? Or does it depend on what type of job you're doing?

I'm looking to buy a Deep Socket Set, usually for driving lag screws and what-nots for woodworking projects, and a Socket Wrench Set, mostly for automotive.

I wish we kicked the SAE standard years ago. Even so it will take centures before the old SAE stuff wears out and gets replaced. It must be nice only having to buy one set of tools in Metric countries for the most part.

Definitely need both. On cars you're looking at mostly metric if it was made from the mid 80's onward.

Lawn mowers and small engines can go either way.

It really just depends, but while you will use metric more, you will need SAE as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

All of it gets annoying especially when you dont have the best eyes and realize you need A DIFFERENT "SIZE!"  But, it's funny, we start the automobile industry and they don't care we are the richest nation, they still do it their way and we cow down.  The funny thing is the French invented the metric system and it took years before the English adopted that system. So basically the English are using what the French developed,  that is funny and another kick in the U.S. BUTT.

P.S. 1 inch is 25.4 mm, why not 25?

Thanks 

James

I wish it was only Metric. I do not get the logic in saying 9/64" instead of 3.5mm. SAE (Imperial) is English measuring system from England and used in US and other British dependencies (Canada, Australia and New Zealand), All adopted Metric except the US! US is almost the only country in the world left alone with Imperial system. Metric, French in core but more introduced internationally by Germans. 

It goes waaay beyond SAE and metric sockets.

There is also Torx, triple square, Allen, combination wrenches, flare nut wrenches, Crow Foot wrenches, ignition wrenches, plus all the specialty sockets and wrenches, including security bits.

Back in the 80s my Jeep color coded metric as blue.

At least my BFH works for both SAE and metric.

• Like 1