Best Random Orbital Sander

EEtwidget

Well, you guys suck. Last week, a sander wasn't even on my radar, now I'm the proud new owner of a Bosch 5" ROS20VSK. Now, do I need to get a 1/4 sheet orbital as well? (Anythnig worth doing is worth overdoing...)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 2 milwaukees and on one the belt broke after a month, although my dad is a shop teacher and the use all milwaukees there. I don't use dewalts because a lot of people used to have problems with them, but I'm sure they have been fixed. I held the makita at Home Depot and it feels great in your hand, but after reading reviews online I heard it was underpowered, but I may reconsider after all that you people said about it. The ridgid is a little big and the switch is hard to access but many people have said its nice. I intend to purchase a Bosch it's the most comfortable to me, variable speed (nothing special many sanders have variable speed), terrific dust collection, good warranty, visually stunning, only down side a little pricier than most sanders, great overall tool, I recommend picking from the makita, Bosch, ridgid, milwaukee, portercable, and dewalt, they are all pretty well built, and then get the one your most comfortable with hope I helped.

• Like 1

Just bought a dewalt sheet sander and I like it! I only used it three times but it seems to be good so far

I've been drooling over a DeWalt 1/4 sheet sander every time I go into HD or Lowes...

I'm sure I will, eventually. I just bought an ROS, and I need to get an oscillating multi tool first. Maybe an M12, maybe a Fein, though I'm kinda stalling on both, hoping a Fuel M12 comes out first, or Fein intros the 350 watt (vs 250 currently) in their Multimaster.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, just found this website on google. I am in a big doubt on whatever i should go with the Bosch, Makita or Festool sander. Milwaukee was also on my list before i read all of the posts, but now i decided to eliminate it. If you have owned any of the above please share your honest experience...

33 minutes ago, sanders said:

Hi guys, just found this website on google. I am in a big doubt on whatever i should go with the Bosch, Makita or Festool sander. Milwaukee was also on my list before i read all of the posts, but now i decided to eliminate it. If you have owned any of the above please share your honest experience...

It depends what you are going to be doing. If you have a couple of projects a year, any brand will do. If you have one in your hand several hours a week, Festool would probably cost twice what others cost, but be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Bosch ROS20VSC last summer and love it. It doesn't vibrate much and does the job well. It does not leave swirl marks on whatever material I sand. Also, it happened to be on sale that day because of a Bosch event and a rep gave me a T-shirt and flashlight. How could I say no to that! I recommended the sander to a relative who later purchased one.

I have a Bosch 5" orbital and love it. Looking to get a sheet sander and a larger forced rotation sander in the future. Most likely Bosch again. I love their designs and products are solid. I used my orbital this year to sand my entire deck (bare wood) and it never skipped a beat with 150 then 220 grit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

At school I had the opportunity to use one of the Bosch orbital sanders and it worked great. The tool had a nice balance even with the rectangular dust extractor installed, the variable speed was a handy feature because you could lower the speed for removing scratches quicker, and it had a trigger and a trigger lock so you aren't required to hold down the trigger but have the option to if needed. I suggest not getting a palm sander but instead get one with a handle on the back. Also variable speed if a must.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have bought Makita BO5041K but after one year it doesn't able To keep the effectiveness of hook and loop sanding discs at their best, and to keep them clean and free from sawdust at all times. I recently got Tacklife PRS01A  from the help of this guide : https://www.bestreviewslist.com/best-random-orbital-sanders/

I am very thankfull that it is working well till now.

On 9/6/2016 at 7:27 AM, sanders said:

Love seeing these older posts pop up. Welcome to the forums dude.

It’s fun reading my old posts and how much my shop has changed. I now run two sander now in my shop. I have a Bosch ROS65VCL with both the 5 and 6 inch pads and the Festool RO90DX. Everything else? Gone. 

I run dust dust collection on both units and the two do fantastic work. I use Festool paper on both machines but also use Mirka paper on the Bosch. Dust collection is amazing on both when you use it and the finish from both machines is amazing. Just using paper on a piece of rough hewn flaky old crap pine I was able to burnish the surface to glass smooth where I don’t think I would have been able to use a finish. 

Both machines are expensive and I wouldn’t use any sander on a fine piece of work without dust collection and these machines benefit from it. 

Good luck!