dewalt dw715 type 3 vs type 2 vs type 1

cupboy

I saw someone bitching awhile back the the type 3 wouldn't accept the laser or led attachments.

I had to laugh. Are we so damn spoiled the we can't use a miter saw without lights? I guess it's important to some, but not to me.

I saw someone bitching awhile back the the type 3 wouldn't accept the laser or led attachments.

I had to laugh. Are we so damn spoiled the we can't use a miter saw without lights? I guess it's important to some, but not to me.

If you every use the dewalt with the led light it will spoil you quickly.

DR hit it. The type 3 is a no frills model to cut cost down. It's like anything else. You can get the Limited package with self or power dimming, adjusting, defrosting, and retracting mirrors, or you can get the work truck that you walk around and adjust with your hand, it's all about what's important to you.

I guess I'm just not the limited type.

Hah. Interesting subject. Never really looking in to what does the type mean. I think all of my dewalt 20v max are type 1. Not sure will that made a different on powertools tho. But I just bought a dcs 391B from lowe's today for replacing my long lost circular saw. I opened it and made a couple cuts to text it out. It seems to look and feel a little different than my old one. Went online and did some reseach about it. And found out they actually makes 2 different model (in US as far as I know ) for the 20v cordless ciruclar saw, dcs 391B I just bought as a bare tool and the dcs 393B I used to have that was missing for a over 2 months. They look about the same. But dcs 391B has a stamped shoe. And the dcs 393B has the cast magnesium shoe, also heard the cast magnesium shoe might be more rigid and possibly lighter and more durable as well. Not sure the inside any different. Didnt compare the rpm. But surely if I can tell the difference. It must be something;) I might go return it and look for another dcs 393B instead.

Sorry didn't mean to go off the subject. Just thought my experience might interested somebody;)

• 1 year later...

Just went down this road as I bought a DW715 yesterday.  I spoke to Dewalt and am supposed to be getting a call back from someone higher up the chain than the person I spoke with.  The lady I spoke with did confirm that Type 1 and 2 will take the LED while type 3 will not.   They made the change back in 2013.  Same thing with the DW716.  Type 1 works with the light while type 20, which is what is in the box now, will not.

So I went to the local Lowes and found a Type 2 in one store and a Type 1 in another store on the display.  I went ahead and got them to sell me the display, which they discounted since they were able to see it didn't match what was in the box.  I was working with the manger of the tool Dept and he guaranteed me that what was in the box was exactly the same as what was on the display.  When I got him to open the box and showed him it wasn't he was very surprised.  So we did the same on the DW716 and sure enough, it was a type 1 on the display but a type 20 in the box.

So while I realize the display has to be pretty old, being a type 1, I bought it anyway.  It has never been used so if I get the full warranty then I'd rather have one that the light kit fits.

Still don't know the difference between the type 1 and type 2 but I can still buy a type 2 for pretty cheap and save it.

I really don't understand why Dewalt made their products inferior to previous models.  This has made quite a few customers unhappy.  

That said, I recently did purchase a 20Vmax drill and impact driver and one of the batteries died after about a month.  I called up and told them this and they didn't even ask for a serial number or proof of purchase.  They got my name and put one in the mail to me immediately.  That kind of service was very impressive so I am a Dewalt fan overall.

Dewalt should have different model numbers for saws that have or don't have features. It would be clearer to the normal person. Auto companies do it also they might do a .5 model year upgrade where they ad or delete options, so I can't totally fault Dewalt.

• Like 1

DR hit it. The type 3 is a no frills model to cut cost down. It's like anything else. You can get the Limited package with self or power dimming, adjusting, defrosting, and retracting mirrors, or you can get the work truck that you walk around and adjust with your hand, it's all about what's important to you.

I guess I'm just not the limited type.

When you live in Michigan having auto adjusting and heated mirrors comes in handy the past 2 years!!! Only option I never had was heated seats :(

When you live in Michigan having auto adjusting and heated mirrors comes in handy the past 2 years!!! Only option I never had was heated seats :(

I have seen more than one truck that the mirror got hot enough it had started to melt. They had a slight brown tint around the edge

Dewalt should have different model numbers for saws that have or don't have features. It would be clearer to the normal person. Auto companies do it also they might do a .5 model year upgrade where they ad or delete options, so I can't totally fault Dewalt.

We do, for example, the saws that come in combo kits compared to the bare tool or kit saws explained at tool guyd. http://toolguyd.com/dewalt-20v-combo-kit-saw-differences/

Dewalt wasn't going to change the entire model number of the DW715 just because they were removing the ability to add a light to it. Changing a model # is a huge headache for distributors. Also, the number of attachment lights sold compared to DW715's was very minimal. The majority of people who bought DW715's never added the light. 

• 10 months later...
On 4/9/2014 at 4:35 PM, cupboy said:

What's the difference between the types. The one I just bought is a Type 3. I've already read that it cannot accept the same attachments as the Type 2. Anyone have all the details? Probably a touchy subject with DeWalt so they aren't going to say.

Type 3 made out of a cheap material. This is the only difference.

• 1 year later...

Old: Although the old box 📦 (see: picture) of the DW715 does advertise compatibility with the DW7187 DeWalt Miter Saw Laser known hereafter as ‘the DeWalt laser’ it is not in front of me to determine type.  Note on model difference: Guard width is visible on profile from four exposed metallic circles on it.  The saw has appeared cross listed as the DW716 with motors toward the rear bevel adjustment.  New:  I have also now read in forums that the DeWalt laser is incompatible with the guard and/or handle of the DW715 type 3 🚨, as it is a wired after market component for specific type # saws and model years unknown...  (I could bring my new DW715 to a service center to be absolutely certain the DeWalt laser will or will not fit.  I could bring both old and new for a complete trial of the packaging.  Option: the less adjustable tested and known📈 Oshlun LG-M01 battery operated laser.  Irwin and Bosch were also represented on a search for “miter saw laser”.  Replaces the outer clamp (bolt/clamp/blade).)  ...I can write for certain after a thorough inspection and that because there is no port exposed near the guard or handle of the new type 3 DW715 to adapt DW7187 the DeWalt laser wire, I have no urge to order.  Also, old type 3 models had ability to loosen the steel plate table extension and slide it under for easy portability.  The new tables are 🥩 beefier for potential drops of the work piece; less air there now for retracting table extensions.

3042AB39-F01F-48DB-900D-86C575AA0E43.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/30/2015 at 11:11 AM, Gatorb888 said:

Dewalt stopped making the XPS work light attachment, so there was no reason to keep adding the ability attach it to the DW715. As you may have seen the DW716XPS replaced the DW716 and features the work light built in and it's double bevel.

that's still a cop out seriously I really like my dw705 why should I pay the same price it's one that has all the bells and whistles feeling like I got ripped off I could have got a better one for the same price still love it though