Official RYOBI response to their Li-Ion battery

gsoriano

Ford why even tarnish you brand selling these horrible tools? Yes licensing deals are nice, but long term it just damages the brand look at Snapon people started to despise them for selling crap at big box stores that wasn't even made by them.

On 11/3/2016 at 2:53 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Don't forget the Ford cordless tools... Rebranded Chicago Electric which might be a rebrand of another and built by who knows.... Harbor freight special

They are made by NINE HKG Ltd.: https://www.ford-tools.com/index.php?act=about

Our team of experts at NINE HKG Ltd., with over 20 years of experience in the development and production of quality tools, has joined forces with the Ford Motor Company in order to develop a unique line of products that honors the legacy established by Henry Ford in terms of production of dependable and affordable goods.

NINE HKG Ltd., as the global official licensee of the Ford Tools Lineup, has appointed several distributors worldwide in order to better serve the specific needs of countries and regions around the globe.

• Like 1

I bet that it started when the Ford executives realized that the old Ford tools were collectible though not valuable. It's not like Ford hasn't been strapped for cash; though they like to point out they weren't bailed out they would have been part of the bailout if they didn't go through their financial issues before the financial collapse.

Not many car companies still supply tools with cars. BMW and MB and the Nissan GT-R are the only ones I know of...anyone else know of any other tool kits?

• 5 years later...

I bought the Ryobi vacuum / blower and bought the 4AH 40V battery with it. I have owned it for three years, and no matter what I do, the batteries have to be replaced every year, and at 160$ plus that is just an extreme joke. I have owned it for 3 years and have three dead batteries for it. So, while it seems their response may sound funny, to me their response is a blatant lie and has cost me 500$. I myself will never ever by another Ryobi battery using product in my life. I have a Milwaukee blower, trimmer (and like 100 tools) that all use the same Milwaukee batteries, and a EGO mower, that I can leave the battery on the charger and have even accidently left them in the charger over the winter once or twice, and never ever have had to replace the batteries like this. Ever. So Ryobi is JUNK!  

On 5/29/2022 at 12:17 AM, clintbritt said:

I bought the Ryobi vacuum / blower and bought the 4AH 40V battery with it. I have owned it for three years, and no matter what I do, the batteries have to be replaced every year, and at 160$ plus that is just an extreme joke. I have owned it for 3 years and have three dead batteries for it. So, while it seems their response may sound funny, to me their response is a blatant lie and has cost me 500$. I myself will never ever by another Ryobi battery using product in my life. I have a Milwaukee blower, trimmer (and like 100 tools) that all use the same Milwaukee batteries, and a EGO mower, that I can leave the battery on the charger and have even accidently left them in the charger over the winter once or twice, and never ever have had to replace the batteries like this. Ever. So Ryobi is JUNK!  

A friend of mine has the Ryobi 40v pole saw and seems happy, but I don't know if he's had any battery issues.  I know he got a new battery, but I believe this was due to the tool being an open box without the battery included.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad luck with your Ryobi batteries.  While I really don't know much about their 40v system I will say that their One+ 18v system is a good investment for someone requiring adequate tools on a budget.  Right now, Ryobi Days is going on, including the usual two-4Ah battery starter kit with free tool.  I looked yesterday but really didn't see anything I need.  My oldest One+ batteries are probably 6 years old and still run strong.  On the other hand, I've had a couple DeWalt 20v Max batteries die, a FlexVolt battery that seems to be struggling, and an EGO battery that seems to lack runtime.  That, and the batteries that came with my M18 Fuel One Key combo needed a jump out of the box before they'd register on the charger (no issues since, though).