Looking for advice...

mike_dave

Hey everyone. I am hoping to get some advice on a career path to take. long story short... Out of highschool I started an electrician apprenticeship which was a long term goal of mine. I did a co-op placement in highschool and I loved every minute of it. Once I got into it as a career, it wasn't so great. I had a lot of issues with the journeyman I worked with and about 8 months later I quit because I wanted to pursue a career as a police officer. I just finished my first year of schooling and have decided that I definitely want to do a trade over anything else. and well, there are two trades that appeal to me.. One Is carpenter. I love building things and feel like this would be a good trade for me. Now, after being out of the trade for a year, I am also reconsidering a career as an electrician. I am wondering If I left just because of my journeyman not for the reasons I thought. I am 19, and will be 20 in a couple months so I have lots of time to figure out what I want to do for sure.

Here's where I need your help. what are the pro's and con's to each trade? I believe electricians pay is slightly better, and I think that the work is abundant. where as carpenters work is hugely dependant on the economy? Anyone think I left because of the journeyman?

I know that at the end of the day its my life, and my choice.. but I would appreaciate any kind of advice I can receive here because I honestly am unsure of the way to go..

Thanks everyone, Michael

Just on wear and tear on the body being an electrician is the better job. Every older carpenter I have met has some sort of knee back or shoulder problems. If you don't get along with a person it can ruin a job that's for sure that could have been your problem with the original Journeyman.

In most areas, carpentry is an unlicensed trade, which means any Tom, Dick or Harry can set himself up as one on a whim. Earning an electrician's license takes a commitment, but comes with greater reward. Based on your brief history, I'd say that you need to ask yourself whether you're able to commit to something at this point in your life. A licensed tradesman is normally going to expect more out of you, if he's going to take you on as an apprentice and attempt to teach you his craft, so carpentry may be better suited to you, for now.

My brother in-law is a journeyman, he's hard on apprentices. He sees it as though you'll either wash out, or you'll be a hell of an electrician when he's done with you. You have to understand their name is linked to you, and they don't want to be attached to someone doing a half assed job so they don't look like shit too.

Basically if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

As far as able to commit, and "take the heat" i have no doubt i can deal with both. For the record, my journeyman was fired shortly after I left because of his attitude. He was the problem, not me. We hada. Second journeyman whom I worked with perfectly and we had zero issues, unfortunately he moved on to another company

I'm curious though.. Is there much money to be made as a carpenter? I plan to regardless of the trade to own my own business. It seems like if it's a good economy and depending on what you specialize in you're going to be busy and raking in the customers, but if there's a poor economy is it difficult to make it worK?

• Like 1

as a first year Electricians apprentice, I have dealt with some straight up assholes for journeymen, But in all honesty they make you better. The first one I had was ALWAYS yelling at me for what appeared to be just minor things that I had no previous knowledge of, and because of that I have NEVER made the same mistakes... Yes It is no fun, but in the long run it will make you a better electrician faster and you will appreciate them(even if you do not admit it).

Being a electrician apprentice is the hardest 4 or 5 years of the trade, if you have a good journeyman he will teach you alot, weather or not he is a dick is a 50/50. Its almost like a break in period, if you can take your journeyman shit for 4 years and succeed you are gonna be a good ass electrician. My company has a guy thats been there since the start, the new hire works with him for a week to see if they will be sticking around. I would advise getting back in the trade!  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

If what you want to do is make money, then go to school and get an education! Don't be concerned with the money, no matter how much money you make sooner or later your going to get burned out. The only thing that helps is doing a job you love. Short of enjoying the work you do, life is hard and exhausting. We can advise you and tell you the path we took, but only you know what makes you happy.

A job I really enjoyed was industrial maintenance, it involved a little of everything and the pay was great. I just got a new job working in the AV field, a job I never thought I would be doing..

My point,... Your young, do what makes you happy, if in a few years you don't like it, try something else. The great thing about trades, they build on each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my take from 15+ years in the electrical trade.  

The first thing is that there are 10 dickheads for every great person and I'm sure its about the same for everything.  Electrical is very stressful at times and when running work it is even more so, so those who don't have very good managerial skills are self destructive when it comes to dealing with others.  Don't take it personally.
 Most people who run work don't have time to "deal" with teaching others but this is where they are mistaken, that IS part of their job, others just go on power trips thinking they are better then everyone else.  Having a journeyman's license is meaningless to me, for every good journeyman out there there are 6 i wouldn't trust to put a wire nut on a joint in my house.  
 The prep courses are setup to where you can know absolutely nothing about the trade and as long as you have good book memorization you can pass the test.  Only with time in the trade and good people skills are you a good electrician regardless of a card or certification.  

Personally, I've been thinking about what I want to do for the rest of my life and electrical contracting isn't one of them, I love the trade and love building and especially love seeing the finished product but its a dog eat dog world.  Its very cut throat and hard to make it in the beginning.

If you are looking at the trade to be a business owner on day I would suggest venturing out to multiple areas.  I've decided that I want to own my own business but will only do so with it geared towards specialties like generator service &installation, tankless water heater S&I, modular dimmer controls and home automation and the like.  The more specialties you have the less likely you'll be fraught with the typical trade downtime.  Most companies go service and installation so you need to stand out from the rest.  

Its a good trade and wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it even if its just as a career with no intentions of owning a company but the same is true for an electrician as it is as a contractor, the more certifications in specialty areas the more valuable you'll be to an employer.  They are more likely to shit-can a guy during downtime that only does new construction then they are to get rid of someone is universally talented in many areas.  

I think the main thing you need to keep in mind is that people are fallible, dickheads are unavoidable and it will actually make you a better electrician by way of forcing you to do better rather than skating by via the buddy system,   Just remember, if and when you make it to that point in life it is your OBLIGATION to teach those below you and to do so without belittling them.    
 I'm not anti-journeyman or anything but that card means nothing when the holder is book smart and field retarded.  80% of what you'll learn in the trade you won't find in a book, its time and ability to innovate methods to make you more efficient.
 MOST IMPORTANT, don't EVER think you don't need to take advice from those below your position, sometimes greenies have very good ideas and can teach you something.  It is important to analyze what they suggest and either take the idea and run with it or explain why it won't work.  

I only slept for 2 hours last night so sorry for rambling.  Good luck with whatever you do.  

• Like 1

Hey everyone. Sorry I've taken awhile to post back on here. I appreciate everyone's input, and I have arrived at a decision. I will be pursuing a career as a carpenter. I currently work in a lumber yard so I have been networking with the contractors. I've gotten a few leads thus far, and I've got a meeting next week with a small company. Both are really friendly guys and I'm looking forward to it.

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again, and cheers!