Plunge router (Makita 3612) in Triton table ...

dwain

Hey gents,

I recently got my dad's Makita 3612 plunge router, my first router. Routing is awesome!

I've mounted it into my Mk3 Triton table, and it performs well. The only problem is depth adjustment. Its painful to have to 'plunge' the router upwards (under the table). Its also very difficult to accurately depth the cutter. I've searched heaps of forums about this, but wanted to hear from TIA friends.

Do you know of any way to get around this? Is it possible/OK to use the router in the 'unlocked' position? Other have mentioned removal of the springs, but I'd like to avoid that if possible....

cheers

Check with Makita for a depth adjustment tool like the one pictured in Regopit's picture. I have Ryobi's bigger MDF table and for a hundred bucks it comes set up and would be easy to modify for one of those screws so I can use a top side adjustment as opposed to using the micro adjustment on my Milwaukee router. I haven't bought one for my tool because it is not terribly difficult to micro adjust, it's a slight pain cause I have to crouch down to visually check but it isn't that bad that I want to spend forty bucks. As far as not locking the router, I would be hesitant to do that, you hit a knot or something and that could crash your project and possibly hurt you. Other than that, sorry my friend, I have no advice for you :(

Hey one more thing....I just realized springs....is that referring to your plunge base? If so you don't have a fixed base for your tool? That would probably fix your problem. I have two bases....one fixed (on my mounted Milwaukee) and one adjustable (spring loaded) for table top work. Can you buy a fixed base for,your Makita?

Never mind....just figured out which router you have....nope! Maybe spring removal will be the way for you! Sorry! You might want to spring for another router with an adjustable fixed base. Keep the Makita for the big jobs, table top if you don't want to go for the table insert or locking tool! That's a big honking router dude! Super power....does it come with a cape? The thing is twice the HP my Milwaukee has. I think I have wood and router envy Yukka Yukka Yukka!

Thanks mate, it really is a whopper. Ideal power for table mounting.

Tonight i trialled not plunging the router. Its got a big knob which gives pretty good adjustment, then i just lock it in place (not plunged). By winding it all the way down (up, in the table), it just means that there's no plunge anyway. Anything wrong with doing that?

I don't think so, BUT...I've got mine in the fixed mount under the table so it's really easy to adjust with either sliding it unlocked or micro adjusting. I guess as long as the screw will hold it under tension it should be fine, that thing is a power house. If your going to keep it mounted why not remove the springs? Do you have a fine adjustment knob or do you have to man handle the thing into place? If so I'd really spring for the kit Regopit showed, it's pretty pricey but if it off sets the cost of another router (and seriously????im not a pro but you can NEVER have too many routers!!!!!!) and it will be easier to use unmounted for table top work. Keep in mind though, you can get a decent router from PC or Bosch or Milwaukee etc.... With a fixed base and you can mount that and use Big Blue unmounted and a plunge router with monstrous power!

Thanks buddy. i think its actually fine, especially when locked in place. The main knob gives good control. Its actually very easy to get in and out of the table (4 screws), which is why I'm not keen to take out the springs. eventually i'd like to get a trimming router, but for now my dad has located me a cheap Makita 3620 for out of table work :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with removing the spring. I have a Triton TRA001 mounted in my table and I removed the spring before I installed it. I have 2 other routers for hand work, and am going to build a horizontal router table for my Hitachi M12v2. I'm able to raise and lower the Triton through the top of the router table without a lift.