construction/home builder tool list

silverado79

well guys i did some not so quick math and got $9,354 as a number for how much it would cost to buy https://fhtc.edu/media/files/cost-sheets/amt-supplies.pdf from snap on(the only tool truck where i live) without a box im looking for a used box. i know that i can substitute with lower quality such as blue point gearwrench craftsman etc. of course thats before student discount or any deals. does anyone know how much a student discount is, and how long i can finance for? any help is appreciated 

The student discount is a good 50% off which is a huge savings. Im not sure aboutbthe financing though. I had my own tools but some of the students at my school bought their tools rhrough the school. I can look up the price for a snap-on starter kit for you if you want. I am elegible for the discount. I would reccomend you get a 44 (I think) inch craftsman box during one of their 50% off sales. Their boxes arent that bad at all i think so long as you get a ball bearing one. A used truck brand box will still be extremely high. I am currently in a tech school going through an automotive program so if you need any help with anything let me know, I will be glad to help.

As conductor mentioned the some of the Harbor Freight tool boxes are of a good value too. The thing is with the tool truck brands abuse that student discount as much as you can because once it is over the prices are freaking insane. That's when the industrial brands like proto conductor promotes is a good way to add tools also at a better price point that the tool trucks.

i've considered buying a HF box but ive seen waterloo and mac boxes on craigslist go for less than the harbor freight boxes also I'm a fan of SK I have some of my great grandpa's tools when he was a mechanic still looks great but i wouldnt want to risk breaking those so thats why i want to buy new stuff

It is plenty big. I managed to get all of my things in a 5 drawer craftsman box. A couple of kids have one and they are noticeably taller and wider. You shouldn't have an issue with space. I just showed you that since it was pretty cheap compared to a regular box.

Nick went through this recently and knows the ropes.

Don't count Carlyle out either. They are mostly Taiwan sourced, but they are nice quality and will save you a bundle over the trucks.

Even if you go to the trucks for things like ratchets, wrenches, and drivers, consider Carlyle for sockets, pliers, bit sockets, etc.

Carlyle's Power90 series rats are very nice.

• Like 1

The carlyle stuff is almost as cheap if not cheaper than the truck tools with a student discount. I haven't checked to see how much the discount is with carlyle yet. I have the 100 tooth ratchet and it is a nice ratchet. Their screwdrivers are also good. I bought all of my service tools at napa as well since they are all rebranded anyway.

Silverado79: Do both of us a favor and check out this article I did awhile back before purchasing and specialty or service tools

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/08/who-makes-what-tools/

I read that when it was first posted. Almost all the time you can find the same tool for a better price, however sometimes there are ways around that like with the lisle disconnects for $40 and re-branded snap-on version for $75. With a student discount (witch not everyone has) the snap-on version would be cheaper for me, but not always cheaper sometimes even with the discount it is better to get the tool through the manufacturer like the lang bit ratchet set for $25 and blue point for $58, in this case the lang is cheaper. Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to tell you that your post was not appreciated by me because it was. Sometimes you trade price with ease, in the sense that I can put all of it on credit and pay it off over time and let's face it I cant afford to pay it up front.

here goes nothing 

Bayco drop light $50

Northern branded bone creeper

Boltsizeit bolt and pitch gauge

Snap-on 3/8 sockets 6-21mm deep and shallow

Carlyle 3/8 sockets 3/8-1" deep and shallow

Carlyle flex sockets 3/8,7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16

Craftsman spark plug socket 5/8 13/16

Snap-on 3/8 drive flex head ratchet

SK drive extension 6” and 8” long

SK 3/8 drive finger ratchet

SK 1/4 sockets 7/32-1/2, 4-14 mm  deep and shallow