proper battery storage

klutz

Sure i haven't got my tool kit yet but i think neither because i learned in school that if u leave the battery on the tool the electrons in the battery is still moving through the tools. Why is it still moving through the tools when the tool is off? The tool could simply has a small LED light and it could still be using the battery electrons even when the tools are off (You don't have to listen to my opinion but i just saying that maybe the electrons from the battery could still be simply running when the tool is off because of a small thing such as a LED light flashing or other small electronics that is on the tool). I would probably not leave it on the charger because some charger doesn't know when to stop charging when the battery is full and it could decrease the life time of your battery. I would just take it off and put the battery in a cold (not to cold just cold enough) or room temperature area.

Or you could simply correct me if i am wrong about this.

I agree with Idontknow. What he says is the right way to store batteries. Persoanlly I leave my either in the charger all the time or attached to the tool, which both are the wrong ways. I haven't had a problem yet. I think I just got lucky and have a trickle or smart charger. Some chargers will keep trying to charge and make the battery hot, which will cause dead cells. If you are suing the batteries everyday, you can leave them charging or in the tool, but any longer and I would do it the right way. Also look at your owners manual as they will talk about this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Heres a link to some good information on batteries:

http://www.toolcritic.com/battery-power.html

For myself, I am a practical man. I leave the batteries in the charger and in the tools. When they are low, I charge them. When they are old, I replace them. They are expensive, but life is short and my time is worth more.

Don't let your batteries get too hot and don't run them too low.

My partner, who wrote the article above, keeps a timer on his charger so that it shuts off power to the charger when the battery is charged. It's probably a good idea.