Old Craftsman Table Saw Question

I recently acquired an older Craftsman table saw, model 113.295752. It's a direct drive, ten inch, lighter duty, home workshop type saw. My problem with this saw is here's a 3/8" rod that protrudes about four inches out the back side of the table, right smack in the way of the rip fence rail. The maybe two foot long rod runs just under the table surface, about an inch left of the blade. I can't see up in there well enough to tell exactly how it's other end is mounted or even what it's actual purpose is. With the end protruding out like that, you cannot center the rear fence rail. That means if one wants to move the rip fence from one side of the blade to the other, you must first unbolt the rails and move them over. And, no, I can't just drill a hole in the rail for the rod to poke through because the rod lines right up on the rail's corner bend, not the flat sides. Any ideas on what the rod is for and why in the heck they stuck it right in the way of the rails like that? Thanks guys.

I think that the rod is a mount for the blade guard - which is probably long gone. Craftsman didn't think very far along the learning curve in the old days. Lots of these saws were sold to schools so they had to be pretty simple. If it bothers you and it doesn't hold the saw together, just get rid of it!